The deepest, highest, longest canal tunnel in Britain

Thank you, what an interesting video! Certainly not everyone's cup of tea to be sure, but growing up in Missouri, we were always going to cave tours. My Jr. High school even took us down in an undeveloped cave for 48 hours straight, spelunking and camping underground. It was quite an experience.

Thank you, what an interesting video! Certainly not everyone's cup of tea to be sure, but growing up in Missouri, we were always going to cave tours. My Jr. High school even took us down in an undeveloped cave for 48 hours straight, spelunking and camping underground. It was quite an experience.
You're lucky that you were able to do that. These days, there is no chance at all that junior high students would be allowed to go down in an "undeveloped" cave. If nothing else, the teachers would be told that taking the students on such a trip would take them away from their "studies."

You're lucky that you were able to do that. These days, there is no chance at all that junior high students would be allowed to go down in an "undeveloped" cave. If nothing else, the teachers would be told that taking the students on such a trip would take them away from their "studies."

I agree Adanor, there is a lot more to a balanced education than passing standardized tests. In the 70's there were a lot of alternative private schools popping up and I was fortunate to go to one that allowed a lot of unconventional learning by doing and significant encouragement towards self-guided study. I think your right, it's a period of time that is lost now.

Your headmaster wasn't Seymour Utterswaite by any chance?
Considering my jr. high (and the subsequent high school) were entirely run by defunct hippies we might have done worse than have Seymour at the helm. I think he would have been appalled by the lack of discipline though. It was my primary years they were still allowed to strike a student here and there.

Back