Sweep up

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
Having just walked across my town for a few streets , I can't help but notice how tidy most of the hedges look. What spoils it for me is the fact that a lot of them are surrounded by clippings on the pavement. The hedge cutters are either not sweeping or if they do , they are not finishing off! I have a neighbour who cuts his hedge and sweeps up so well you could not find one loose leaf :) !!

If its council cut then I'm not surprised, theres one man does the planning, one man does the driving, one man does the cutting and one man does the sweeping ( He's probably off for the football).

Our Council (South Norfolk) have just cut the grass verges round our streets and left all the cuttings to block up the drains therefore keeping another man in a job unbunging them all.:unhappy::unhappy:

Most of what I saw this morning were owner/ occupier cuts. I am old enough though to remember the time when it was like Norah with her steps, you were ostracised if you did not keep the front of your house clean (even the pavement)There was an old lady where I passed on the way to work , she was out every morning sweeping her portion of pavement! :)

If its council cut then I'm not surprised, theres one man does the planning, one man does the driving, one man does the cutting and one man does the sweeping ( He's probably off for the football).

Wow, that sounds like here. One guy digging and 6 more leaning on shovels watching and it doesn't seem to matter if it is the State work crew, county work crew or city work crew. Seem to all attend the same training class. ;D

Most of what I saw this morning were owner/ occupier cuts. I am old enough though to remember the time when it was like Norah with her steps, you were ostracised if you did not keep the front of your house clean (even the pavement)There was an old lady where I passed on the way to work , she was out every morning sweeping her portion of pavement! :)

When I first moved to this street 25 years ago we still had a few ladies who scrubbed their front steps regularly - what a more traditional Yorkshire friend of mine referred to as "raddling" for which you used a raddle stone.

Jim, six doors down, still sweeps his yard and the street outside: no hedge he only has regular paving slabs, dead level and spikes on top of the wall to deter cats and intruders.
I do occasionally still sweep the portion of street outside especially when I have been trimming my luxuriant shrubbery which keeps on sprouting!

Our Council (South Norfolk) have just cut the grass verges round our streets and left all the cuttings to block up the drains therefore keeping another man in a job unbunging them all.:unhappy::unhappy:

That sounds like what they do at the park down the street from my house. They cut the grass, but they don't get rid of the cuttings. I like to take my dog down there, but I can't stand getting grass cuttings on my rockstar sneakers. It's really annoying. I was under the impression that only we Americans try to get away with doing half a job, but apparently it happens everywhere.

Back