Summer Wine and Big Cities

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
I was on the As Time Goes By Forum and I wrote about the shows use of locations; London and Hampshire. Despite not being terribly far from each other, they seem like two completely different worlds.

When I compare that to Summer Wine, a few questions come to mind.

The trio traveled a little in the 70's but not so much after that. I really can't think of them in an actual city environment, except for driving to the television studio in The Last Surviving Maurice Chevalier Impression.

1. What city was that supposed to be?
2. Was Northern Outlook an actual show?
3. What major cities are closest to Holmfirth? (I am thinking York and Leeds, but you all can correct me)

I could imagine the trio getting in trouble in a big city. Clegg would be uncomfortable around large groups of people. Urban people would be turned off by Compo in general. Foggy would get the gang lost by bus and by foot, insisting he knew where he was going. Having them in a city as big as London might be too far-fetched, but a slightly smaller city would definitely work. These are just some rambling thoughts.

1. What city was that supposed to be?
2. Was Northern Outlook an actual show?
3. What major cities are closest to Holmfirth? (I am thinking York and Leeds, but you all can correct me)

my guess 4 number 1 wud b a major city like leeds in yorkshire, as 4 number 2 to the best of my knowledge there was no show called northern outlook altho i cud b wrong, i suppose tht was summer wines take on the local news, as 4 number 3 the nearest major city 2 holmfirth is huddersfield.

1) It may not have been a city, It could have been a town such as Huddersfield, Halifax or indeed a city such as Leeds, Wakefield or similar. Huddersfield is I believe one of, if not the largest town in the country, it is pretty large so could have been used.

2) Not as far as I know, though we do have Look North which could have been the show they were basing Northern Outlook off.

3) If we are to remain in Yorkshire then it would be Wakefield or Bradford (Close call), Leeds and York in that order.

Hope this helps.

The cities in Yorkshire are Leeds, Bradford, Wakefield, York and Sheffield. The BBC have studios in three or four of those although I think only Leeds does TV. ITV studios are in Leeds.

Sheffield would probably be closest but Leeds easier to get to. Huddersfield is a town.

And as stated Northern Outlook was a fictional name - although there is Look North on BBC.

How about the multi-story car park in The Empire that Foggy Nearly Built. Okay its not really a city, but it still looks odd seeing them in a concrete environment.

Back