Subtitles

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Setting up a new media streamer the subtitles were on in default, so I watched a few episodes with them switched on, it amazes me how many words are left out, or totally wrong, as if whoever inputs them misheard what was said

Setting up a new media streamer the subtitles were on in default, so I watched a few episodes with them switched on, it amazes me how many words are left out, or totally wrong, as if whoever inputs them misheard what was said
It happens on all programmes with subtitles unfortunately.

There have been some outstanding gaffs and frankly embarrassing examples of where subtitles have been incorrect and sometimes inappropriate . The BBC upset the residents of Cromer which we all know is famous for Crabs.

cromer.jpg

The automatically generated subtitles are the worst. Ones generated by people from the same region as the actors or narrator are much better, but still not perfect. I'll take the latter over trying to lip-read from the TV screen!

That's true. I was watching A Touch of Frost with the subtitles on. The line was something like "I want you to go back and see him. Try and get hold of his diary". The subtitles actually said "Go to his house. Bring back his diary".

Back