Stereotypes

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
Having read somewhere some time back about the perceived northern stereotypes in Summer Wine i.e. ferrets,pigeons and flat caps etc I wonder how the Yorkshire folk on the forum feel about this.The article I read stated that some north of England people were not happy about the way they were being portrayed,especially in latter years.Some it seems had formed lobby groups and were writing to the BBC to complain.I read this on one of the online newspapers as I remember. I personally would have thought that the series shows the region and it`s people in a very favourable light,portraying people living a very idyllic lifestyle in a very beautiful part of the country.

Ferrets, pigeons and flat caps have always been a northern stereotype. Why? Because we like Ferrets, whippets, pigeons and flat caps. We also have a feeling of great sadness for anyone who lives south of Sheffield ;D

People sometimes don't like to accept past or present heritage, a lot of the time because they wish to appear better some how than the associated stereotype may make them appear. Personally, I love it up here, the scenery, people as you mentioned Onyx. Also we have far superior beer to the southerners ;D

Edit- Yay post 100, full membership achieved 8)

Ferrets, pigeons and flat caps have always been a northern stereotype. Why? Because we like Ferrets, whippets, pigeons and flat caps. We also have a feeling of great sadness for anyone who lives south of Sheffield ;D

People sometimes don't like to accept past or present heritage, a lot of the time because they wish to appear better some how than the associated stereotype may make them appear. Personally, I love it up here, the scenery, people as you mentioned Onyx. Also we have far superior beer to the southerners ;D

Norman Clegg reckoned they made better beer down south :eek: Well done for the hundredth ;D

I think people should be proud of where there from and if it fits a stereotype then so be it, one of my daughters mother-in-laws is Welsh and she has proud has a peacock about it. Pardon the pun but if the cap fits wear it and wear it proudly :D

Back