Spotted this Sad News

Very sad indeed, why is it TV executives cancel gentle shows which mature audiences enjoyed so much such as LOTSW & Heartbeat when the BBC have just stated the average age of its viewers is 62????
These were infinitely better than the dross which is served up these days, I hardly think there will be a forum or Celebrity Love Island nearly 10 years after it has finished!!!
Sorry I'll get off my soapbox now o_O

Very sad indeed, why is it TV executives cancel gentle shows which mature audiences enjoyed so much such as LOTSW & Heartbeat when the BBC have just stated the average age of its viewers is 62????
These were infinitely better than the dross which is served up these days, I hardly think there will be a forum or Celebrity Love Island nearly 10 years after it has finished!!!
Sorry I'll get off my soapbox now o_O

Not sure about the other TV companies but the BBC had a massive swing to what they thought we ought to watch, and very little talent in the writers of most of these shows plus the acting quality is no better, no matter what if it's cheap and fills viewing time they will put it on, quality shows is a rare option these days

Totally agree with you maltrab! Ironically I think the BBC discovered the error of their ways as they recommissioned Still Open All Hours for the same audience, pity they couldn't have persevered with LOTSW !

Totally agree with you maltrab! Ironically I think the BBC discovered the error of their ways as they recommissioned Still Open All Hours for the same audience, pity they couldn't have persevered with LOTSW !

Sadly it seems Roy has used several of the LOSW themes in SOAH, during the current filming they have a mangle.
I do wonder if the top folk of LOSW had a falling out with the then head of Comedy, the one that cancelled the show then left for Channel 4, I know Alan Bell really cut the cost of making the show in the last few series to prove he could make it viable cost wise, but it was made with BBC money and they have moved away from that these days, Production companies make shows then bounce them around to the broadcasters hoping one of them will run with it and cover their cost

Not sure about the other TV companies but the BBC had a massive swing to what they thought we ought to watch, and very little talent in the writers of most of these shows plus the acting quality is no better, no matter what if it's cheap and fills viewing time they will put it on, quality shows is a rare option these days
Nail on the head there - Stations telling us what we should watch..
Aussie TV is saturated with "REALITY" TV, or Home rennovation shows coming out the wazoo... Pure rubbish. :(

I think it harps back to the writers strike of the 90s, they replaced shows quickly and cheaply while the strike was on and then saw they could produce "SHOWS" for nothing.. stand a flog infront of a camera and ... do nothing really. - after that quality TV was doomed. TV in Australia is hardly worth turning on anymore.. in fact if my TV died, I wouldn't bother replacing it.

As for Heartbeat - this was another one of those outstanding UK shows.. I dont know how they managed to have such quality for so many decades. Even the theme song is catchy still!!!

RIP and thanks for the memories..

Back