RIP Alan Simpson

Huge fan of both shows , they were pioneer writers who broke down the boundaries in the context of TV Comedy . The quality of their writing is demonstrated by the fact that both show's episodes remain as funny today as they have always been and are enjoyed by people who weren't even born when they first aired .

RIP. Yes great writer. And agree they are still funny even though some of them are over 50 years old.

Very sad news. And to echo was has been said, the writing still remains good today. The comedy hasn't dated at all, it's still sharp, fresh and relevent.

I never really understood why Galton and Simpson hardly wrote together for the last 40 years though, as they remained friends.

Partly explained in a book I have:

The Masters of Sitcom from Hancock to Steptoe compiled by Christopher Stevens.

If you go to the Amazon website it is still on offer and although priced at £20 it is available from £6.90 - there is a good review of the book as well .....

I know there are huge fans of Hancock and Steptoe on the forum sadly it has been announced that Alan Simpson's writing partner Ray Galton has died . It marks the end of probably one of the greatest comedy writing teams ever to have graced our planet . They wrote so many sketches for the great stars and series which are long forgotten like Citizen James for Sid James which ran for three series. Although only the first series was written by them their mantle was assumed by Sid and Dick of Morecambe and Wise fame who wrote series 2 and 3 . It marks the passing of one of the stalwarts of classic British Comedy . A Sad loss.

Sad news about RAY GALTON.

Galton and Simpson virtually invented sitcom.

They could write anything. Plays. Sketches. Sitcom. Stand up. Drama.

Forget Shakespeare. Schools will be studying the work of Galton and Simpson.

MARK MY WORDS.

I'm going to have to dig up Steptoe and Son again now...

Just a quick google for Ray Galton and seeing them brought back some magic memories!!!

Back