Petrol Situation??

cciaffone

Dedicated Member
We leave for the UK tomorrow (Weds) and we
thought the petrol crisis had passed. But now we are
reading of sympathy strikes from the truckers.

We will land at H'row and drive up the M1 to the M62
heading initially to Haworth.

Any news would be appreciated.

chuck

Very little news on the situation today. Nothing will happen for at least a week. Fuel tanker drivers union will start talks with employers in conjunction with our Conciliation Service (ACAS). Only if talks break down and union call a strike is it likely that other truckers (under an anti fuel tax campaign banner) might start to block fuel depots and major roads.

Enjoy the trip. By the time you get here most filling stations should have supplies. Avoid our motorway service stations. They charge extortionately for everything.

As mentioned Chuck avoid the major Petrol retail outlets and try to get your fuel in the supermarket outlets,Like Asda,Morrisions,Tesco's etc they normally have the lowest fuel prices in a given area,with luck the snow will of vanished by the time you get up north,where are you staying in Haworth,Terry

Also Chuck, the likes of Sainsburys and Morrisons supermarkets give you a 5p per litre off fuel voucher if you spend a certain amount on shopping. So if you need stuff, get your fuel from either of those. It seems to be calming down day by day on the panic.

Thanks for all the reassuring (??) info.

We will have to "top off" on the M1 a few hours up
when we change drivers, maybe around Todmorton (sp?)
and then maybe again above Sheffield before turning
onto the M62. Does this sound ok?

I am far less worried about the costs then I am about
the availability. When we do get into Hawes for two
weeks we will hopefully be doing more walking than
driving, with maybe a 1-day trip out to Whitby for
Fish and Chips with a side-trip to Goathland for Heartbeat.

You are confusing me a wee bit - first you mentioned Haworth which seems right area and then Hawes which is somewhat North. Todmorton really threw me - seems far too West of where you want to be (if it is, in fact, Todmorden you mean). If you are stopping twice on M1 I would make first stop in the Nottingham area (or even Leicester). Then there is a service station just south of the M62, Wooley Edge, near Wakefield which is pleasantly located.

If you are into railways, Haworth is end of the line for a steam railway (Keighley and Worth Valley line). Hawes had its place in history. A small town (or even a village) up on the moors but two railway companies ran lines there from opposite directions so it had an end-on junction between the two companies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawes_railway_station

In fact there used to be a railway locomotive and coach at Hawes railwat station, although it can not go anywhere as there are no rails beyond the station in either direction for quite a few miles. Petrol up there will not be as cheap, as fewer large towns.

You are confusing me a wee bit - first you mentioned Haworth which seems right area and then Hawes which is somewhat North. Todmorton really threw me.

Hawes had its place in history. A small town (or even a village) up on the moors but two railway companies ran lines there from opposite directions so it had an end-on junction between the two companies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawes_railway_station

Yeah, sorry, not sure where the Tod-whatever came from, prolly my
wife. But yes, we will try to get petrol around Notts, then again
before the M62. If the pumps are open, we be ok.

Last time in Hawes, the engine was still there behind the museum.

We have ridden the K&WVRR tween Oxenhope and Keighly,
and always go to the beer car. Not gonna be in that area
long enough this time. Really going to spend two full weeks
at a self-catering in Hawes and rambling about the N Yorks
Dales and out to the Lakes.

OK, loading the car. Gonna board the flight.

Hope the snow is not a prob.

Need a Peculiar now!!!!

Back