Origin of the two absent minded police officers

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
I am trying to figure out if which came first.... the two police officers in LOTSW or the two slow witted officers in the Young Ones. I believe the pair of officers started in the mid-80s in Summer Wine and this scene, that I always remembered from the Young One's was from the early-mid 80s. Would the scene from one show be influenced by the other? Which show had the comic conversations with the police first? Or am I way off with my observation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z55mLS-qWnc

I never posted a you tube video here before so I hope it works. Also, one can disregard the last minute and take note of the first 1:13.

what do you think?

I don't think there's much of a connection between the Young Ones (1982-1984) and Last of the Summer Wine.

I think the policemen in LOTSW are more likely to based on Roy Clarke's own sitcom The Growing Pains Of PC Penrose, later titled Rosie. This was about northern policemen, some of which were lazy and forever trying to cut down on the paperwork. This programme was partly based on Roy Clarke's days as a policeman.

Thanks for the insight. I didn't know the background of Roy Clarke. I know the two shows are different and one shows younger London police and the other has older Yorkshire police. I just see both shows as having these segments that break from the story line just to show comical and real idiotic discussions between the police.

I would agree with wstol - Roy Clarke's policemen must be based on his observations of the type.

I always remember the early episode when they had to call into the police station to check an address: flicking cigarette ash in a cap!

Back