Old tv shows

amos hames

Dedicated Member
Does any body remember these shows

Sapphire and Steel
Cats Eyes
Widows
A comedy called the Upper Hand?

The daftest programme that was on when I was growing up was the A team those guys were the worst shots ever and every week when they got caught by the bad guys they just happened to be held in a old shed that had welding equipment' an old bus that they could convert into some sort of tank and always machine guns. This was a silly show really but as a kid I loved it for some reason.
There were some shows that I could not get into such as The man from Uncle and Tales of the unexpected although I did like shows such as Bergarac with John Nettles.
Minder was another good show although I lost a little interest in it after Dennis Waterman left. Gary Webster was not as good as Arthur Daleys Nephew.

More Shows to remember

Three up two down
That's my boy
Spender
I used to like a drama that was on about five years ago called the Street written by Jimmy McGovern who also wrote The Lakes
Starring John Simm. Anyone else like these shows or dramas

Saphire and Steel, Three Up Two Down, Thats My Boy, and Spender are the ones I remember and also The Upper Hand, which is being repeated in the afternoon on ITV 3 at the moment. I think this was a take from the American show, 'Who's The Boss' with the good looking one from Taxi

I remember watching them from time to time Amos.(all of them)WIDOWS soon fell by the wayside, herself didnt like it , Sapphire and Steele was not a regular on our tv and Minder after Denis Waterman was soon rejected.The rest we watched while not every week ,very often. :D

ive nearly finished my dvd run of the upper hand, i like the show watched it when growing up, noticed frank thornton has been in it when the two got married

Not so old, but ... we have been having a great time watching
episodes of Dad's Army, The Royal, and Heartbeat, mostly
downloaded from the box. Also Father Ted, Mrs Bradley,
Doctor Finlay, Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, and ..... MASH!!!

chuck

I thought M*A*S*H one of the greatest shows to come out of the US. Comedy with a really serious message and enormous pathos at times. A superb cast which somehow did not suffer when an individual was replaced. I see it ran up 251 episodes.

I have been watching The Upper Hand for the past couple of weeks on ITV3 and before that there is "Second Thoughts." I am always seeking old comedies. Some of my old time favourties are.

Nearest and Dearest
Then Churchill said to Me
Just good Friends
Don't drink the Water
Curry and Chips
Take a Letter Mr. Jones
Dawson's Weekly
Morcambe and Wise
Dick Emery
To the Manor Born
My Wife next Door
Sorry
Oh Father
Bless me father
Tripper's Day
I Lovett
Minder
Queenie's castle
George and Mildred
Rising Damp
Larkins
Hi De Hi
Never mind the quality
Yes my Dear
The Liver Birds
Oh No it's Selwyn Froggit
The Worker
Home James
Open all hours
You're only young twice
Desmonds
Tommy Cooper
How's your Father
Hallelujah
The Gaffer
Tony Hancock
Allo Allo
Terry and Julian
The Two Ronnies
Dad's Army
For the love of Ada
Bread
Till death do us part
Steptoe and son
Eric Sykes
That's my Boy
Billy Liar
Coogan's Run
Father dear father
The Good life
All gas and gaiters
George and the dragon
Porridge
The LOvers
Bloomers
You must be the husband
Only when I laugh
Terry and june
It ain't half hot mum
Clarence
Going straight
Magnificent evans
Please sir
Doctor in the house
Robin's nest
Early hours
Not on your nellie
Father Ted
What ever happened to the likely lads
Two's company
The Dustbinmen
After Henry
Fresh Fields and later French fields
Faulty towers
Birds of a feather
Shine on Harver Moon
Romany Jones
Moody and Pegg

Just a few from my private collection. As you can see I am never without a brit comedy at hand.

I got a wall unit full of them, plus some cooking shows and Musicals.

That is a very difficult question as I like them all. These aere the ones I have:

Gigi =
The Chours Line
Singin in the Rain =
South Pacific
Oklahoma
Carousel
State Fair
The King and I =
Hans Christen Anderson
Les Miserables =
An American in Paris =
Calamity Jane
West side story =
Joseph and the amazing technicolour dreamcoat
Mary poppins
the unsinkable molly brown
the lion king
annie
chicago
mama mia =
on the town =
anchors aweigh =
moulin rouge
the music man
the phantom of the opera =
the sound of music
brigadoon =
Cliff richard musicals =
fiddler on the roof
chitty chitty bang bang
cabaret
cats =
Man of la mancha =
----------------------------------------------------------------

The ones with a = means they are my favourite

You are right there is no Oliver. I must check into it. Yes West Side Story is amazingly good. But I have to admit that my most ever favourites are those of the 1950's like of Gene Kelly and etc. I love those musicals.. Also Doris Day. I was surprised to hear that she is still alive..

ive nearly finished my dvd run of the upper hand, i like the show watched it when growing up, noticed frank thornton has been in it when the two got married

I didn't know they got married, I haven't got that far yet.

Hello Sue. happen to be I was reading about this show a couple of days ago as i am watching the series on ITV3. But to help with more info I found you all tyhe info you will want to read about. On ITV3 they are also showing Second Thoughts which comes on before Upper Hand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Upper_Hand

I didn't know they got married, I haven't got that far yet.

yeah they got married at the end of series 6, the penultimate series, i will say it ended on a cliffhanger so it was probably axed before they could finish the storylines

Back