Nearest and Dearest

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
I just came across this photo of Joe Gladwin as he appeared playing Stan Hardman in the series 'Nearest and Dearest'. I have to admit I`ve never even heard of this sitcom before now. Is it familiar to anyone here? :) :)

I remember watching the later episodes of this when i was growing up. Sitcom with Jimmy Jewell and Hilda Baker based in a pickle factory in Lancashire.Not my cup of tea i'm afraid.

This is a decent enough sitcom from the late 60s and early 70s. It has a lot in common with Coronation Street of that time - same writers, producers, tv company etc.

It's about a pickle factory and it's brother and sister owners in Lancashire. By no means a masterpiece, yet did massively well in ratings back then.

The film version may be a good place to start watching.

I remember watching the later episodes of this when i was growing up. Sitcom with Jimmy Jewell and Hilda Baker based in a pickle factory in Lancashire.Not my cup of tea i'm afraid.
Was it Pledges Pickles?? I think she was Nelly?? I've forgotten Jimmy 's character name ???

'Ohhhh I must get a little hand on this watch,' I used to love it.

I can remember some of it, as I was soooooooooo young at the time

It's one of my favourite sitcoms. Baker and Jewel make a great team, and Joe Gladwin does a great job.

Kathy Staff also turns up in an episode playing one of the factory workers, alongside Gladwin, prior to Summer Wine beginning.

There was a near-enough sequel to it, with Baker playing practically the same role, but running a pub, called 'Not On Your Nellie' which is still very good, but no Gladwin in it.

I did like to watch a later series with Bill Maynard, Oh No it's Selwyn Froggitt. The pilot was written by Roy Clarke, i'm still guilty of using some of the shows catchphrases some 40 years later :)
"Magic our Maurice" and "i'll have a pint of cooking and a bag o' nuts" ;D

That series I do remember, and those catch phrases too.I seem to remember a Welsh guy, he might have been the publican,who was always making fun of Selwyn. Bill Maynard was excellent in that show .

:D The "magic our Maurice!" caught on in our family cos our elder brother is named Maurice ;D

watched some nearest and dearest recently...certainly took me back, remember john comer in it but not kathy staff....as for selwyn froggat, i remember enjoying it at the time....something to have a look at again, thank you.

Back