Memories of Days gone by

captain clutterbuck

LOTSW Fanatic
With so much time on my hands I have been thinking about my childhood memories some not so good but others really good . I want to keep it light so here's one to hopefully promote peoples thoughts at this time for reflection . Do you remember all those kids Birthday parties and do you remember when you used to get scones with money in . The money was wrapped in greaseproof paper to stop the green/blue copper sulphate on the pennies and tuppences coming off onto the scones and having the other mothers accusing the host of serving mouldy scones .

You always had the anticipation of getting the scone with the most money in but it never seemed to work out . :(:)

With so much time on my hands I have been thinking about my childhood memories some not so good but others really good . I want to keep it light so here's one to hopefully promote peoples thoughts at this time for reflection . Do you remember all those kids Birthday parties and do you remember when you used to get scones with money in . The money was wrapped in greaseproof paper to stop the green/blue copper sulphate on the pennies and tuppences coming off onto the scones and having the other mothers accusing the host of serving mouldy scones .

You always had the anticipation of getting the scone with the most money in but it never seemed to work out . :(:)
Jelly, Blancmange and Vimto at Birthday parties:p

I have many great memories of growing up. I grew up in a really small town (300 people) and you could yell loud enough to be heard across the entire town, it helped we lived in a valley too.
-When it was time to come home, our parents would yell our name, we would always freeze and listen for the second yell to see who was the unlucky one who had to go home!
-I used to catch the school bus across the road from a bakery, almost every morning I'd get to the bus stop early so I could go to the bakery and get chocolate milk and a gob (some places its called a whoopie pie, but not in SW Pennsylvania). I loved that time of the morning. When I go home to visit I still go to that bakery for a gob and a chocolate milk!
-There were many hills and mountains around our hometown and there were always dares to see who could free wheel their bicycles down the hills without using the brakes, many crashes and a lot of road rash!!!
- We used to jump off a bridge into the water below a waterfall, it wasn't very deep and your knees would come up and hit you in the chest upon landing and knock the breath out of you, it was sort of an initiation and anyone who didn't do it was chicken, haha, Stupid me, I did it twice, I think my knees are suffering today from that move. :rolleyes:
- We did a lot of trout fishing, fly fishing mainly.
- We built a lot of dams in the streams in the summer time. That was good fun.
Much more innocent time then and our parents never worried about what we were up to. We had street smarts! We took our kids up to my hometown many years back and we waded through the streams (which in SW PA its called a crick) and built a dam. They are now 20 and 17 and still talk about doing that and how much fun it was. Its the simple things! They have missed out, with the Playstations and cell phones.

I can remember being in fear as I arrived home 5 minutes past my curfew time
Yes I had that problem too. One time I'd been grounded by my mam but she worked evenings and dad was a sucker for a bored sigh especially if theres was football on tv so he'd kick me out with a warning to be home before my mother. This night I was about 10 minutes from home with five minutes to get back so a friend gave me a croggy on his bike but we fell off and I broke my toe but I did get back before mam and had to spend the night in bed in agony, the next morning I pretended to fall down stairs and was taken to the hospital to have my toe fixed. On a side note I was supposed to go back the next day to get it plastered but I couldn't be bothered so didn't go a decision I've grown to regret because as I've gotten older it plays up more.

Only yesterday I was reminiscing an event that occurred in the early 70s. I was at a funfare (might be Battersea park). I was probably about 7 years old. I recall been given a bean bag or a tennis ball. I threw it at a circular silver target and hit it. Suddenly, this beautiful blonde woman in a bikini fell off a bed onto the floor. Everyone was laughing. But I recall the look that woman gave me; it gave me the shivers.
Anyone know the name of such an attraction at the funfare.

Never heard of putting a coin in a scone. Is it a Yorkshire thing?

I'm North of Yorkshire on Tyneside and it was a thing I remember from every birthday party as a kid . The scones would be buttered ready to serve and then the Mother of the Birthday girl or boy would wrap various coins in greaseproof paper and put in between the top and bottom parts of the scone . The amount always varied but one always had more than the rest so one guest would get more than others .

Back