Marsden

amos hames

Dedicated Member
I am in Yorkshire from 25 aug to sept 1 and i need to know where to visit if i go to Marsden.I am also going to Haworth,Scarboro and Whitby and Holmfirth on my birthday next friday.Is Marsden worth a visit.I am based in Leeds at the Hilton as my base so will be getting train everywhere apart from Holmfirth where i have to get a bus from Huddersfield.You comments on Marsden please.

If you are interested in canals and such like, yes it is well worth a visit. From the railway station it is a shortish walk along the canal to the Standedge Tunnel Museum. You can have a trip into the tunnel itself. This area was used as a location quite often. Marsden itself is the home of Auntie Wainwrights shop, and there are a lot of other places you might recognise. If you know the series First of the Summer Wine, Wally Batty was hanging from a little bridge here in Taller Exercises. And they used the village hall a lot as well.

I think that Marsden was probably the most used area for filming in the show,to see what is where visit the map section from the main website page,though only a small place there will be so many places you will recognise and if you can make it as far as Standedge another 15-20 min walk will get you to the lovely packhorse Eastergate Bridge,Angies Kitchen on the corner of market place did a good inexpensive meal,there used to be clean Public loo's just past the Library,I find Marsden a magical place as you can walk around a corner and see Compo chasing Nora,Auntie selling Cleggy something in fact every few yards will bring back a memory from a episode

I work around Marsden and regularly have my dinner in Angies, just round the corner from auntie Wainwrights. I agree that Marsden is one of the most used locations and there is a special place in my heart for Marsden. I also enjoy the walks that are available and the general feel of the place.

I would visit Marsden if you can, IMHO you have missed out greatly if you don't.

Back