LOTSW abroad

Foggy Entwhistle

Is Last of the Summer Wine popular abroad like other British comedies? I wonder what the French, Germans and Americans would make of Compo's pursuit of Nora Batty?

There are still American PBS stations broadcasting
LOTSW. Unfortunately, none of mine. Which is why
I have every episode on DVD!!

We have it here in Minnesota on PBS--two episodes every day! In a few days they will broadcast the very last episode, and then start all over with Compo, Clegg, and Blamire. It's a never-ending cycle, a very good one!

The closest PBS station here in the US for me that is still showing Summer Wine is South Carolina's running through the next to last series of the show. I don't know if this station ever did the old episodes from the 70s or 80s. I know sometime last year, they showed the last series with Nora (series 29) and then went back to series 24. Our NC PBS station hasn't shown it since 2009.

Judging by the members on this forum, Summer Wine does have a following in the US. But as you can tell by Chuck and Claye's posts, it isn't available everywhere. If all Public Television stations carried it, Summer Wine would be REALLY popular in America. Growing up in Eastern Pennsylvania and spending four years of college in Cincinnati, Ohio, I never heard of the show.

I only discovered it when I moved to the Maryland suburbs of DC (2006). My wife joined me and she taped Keeping Up Appearances for me at 2:30 every day. Then she accidentally discovered Summer Wine which still airs before it. She told me about it and I watched it and slowly got into it.

We used to have LOTSW on our local PBS station, however they couldn't raise enough money to keep it on. I too use Youtube to get my LOTSW fix.
As for Compo's chasing Nora, I love it. My wife thinks it is great that he still has the fire in him and just didn't give up on living as he aged.
I have told many people about LOTSW, but I haven't talked to many who actually watched it.
Compo truly reminds me of how my father used to harass my mother, so as I'm watching, I get a little smile on my face.

Judging by the members on this forum, Summer Wine does have a following in the US. But as you can tell by Chuck and Claye's posts, it isn't available everywhere. If all Public Television stations carried it, Summer Wine would be REALLY popular in America. Growing up in Eastern Pennsylvania and spending four years of college in Cincinnati, Ohio, I never heard of the show.

I only discovered it when I moved to the Maryland suburbs of DC (2006). My wife joined me and she taped Keeping Up Appearances for me at 2:30 every day. Then she accidentally discovered Summer Wine which still airs before it. She told me about it and I watched it and slowly got into it.

I met my best friend through LOTSW. She, at the time lived in Hagerstown MD. They showed it on the PBS and she loved it. We both belonged to a LOTSW group and exchanged letters at one time and it went on from there. We have been friends for ten years now. She was over for a visit to London last year and came to stay with us for a few days.

was in the summer wine shop last year and this Australian chap was in there buying all the box sets and he said that the copies he had recorded on Australian tv were bad quality and that he enjoys the show so much that he wanted good copies of all of them. He must have spent a fortune on them I saw him later in Sids Café reading the back of the cases. :)

We both belonged to a LOTSW group

Was that by any chance the old www.summer-wine.com forum,
also called Summer Wine Online????

It's still available online, but has not been updated in
years. Wasn't Patrick the boss-man??

I still use it's wonderful pages for reference. Was truly (!!)
great stuff.

chuck

well foggy i think the french would take to lotsw like ducks to water....after al ldidnt we see compo's french cousin so to speak when the trio visited france in last pigeon and post haha..!!! ;D

We both belonged to a LOTSW group

Was that by any chance the old www.summer-wine.com forum,
also called Summer Wine Online????

It's still available online, but has not been updated in
years. Wasn't Patrick the boss-man??

I still use it's wonderful pages for reference. Was truly (!!)

great stuff.

chuck

That is it Chuck. Patrick Brooke did a great job on it, but he had to give it up for, I think, personal reasons. Pat Carline also was involved, and she started up her own group, but she also seems to have disappeared. I still belong to her group, but it is mostly just old friends who go along and chat, not too much Summer Wine stuff these days.

Back