Lockdown ending - Seen anything back to pre-lockdown normal?

imitation700mb

Dedicated Member
I just wondered if anyone has seen anything back to pre-lockdown normal, as restrictions are slowly lifting in the UK. Just the little things, that we would have taken for granted in earlier times.

In our local shopping centre there is a row of seats along one side that have been roped off so we couldn't use them during lockdown, but when I visited earlier this week, they were open again and people were using them. It gave me a bit of hope to hang on to.

I think lifting to quickly will be a mistake, numbers are rising again we still need to be careful. Whole years are being sent home from school including one of my grandsons, all of my granddaughters friends are in isolation as is one of my daughters. This is isn't over yet.

I just wondered if anyone has seen anything back to pre-lockdown normal, as restrictions are slowly lifting in the UK. Just the little things, that we would have taken for granted in earlier times.

In our local shopping centre there is a row of seats along one side that have been roped off so we couldn't use them during lockdown, but when I visited earlier this week, they were open again and people were using them. It gave me a bit of hope to hang on to.

Apart from being allowed to eat indoors I haven't noticed much difference, unfortunately. I'm beginning to find the prospect of masks and social distancing forever to be depressing. A precedent has been set, and since respiratory viruses always spread most in autumn and winter then I can see pressure to have restrictions every year from now on - it's not beyond possibility that Christmas as we used to have it is now a thing of the past. Most of all I feel sorry for kids who have been treated appallingly, especially when you consider that prior to the pandemic teachers would bleat that even one day out of school is damaging to their education.

I think lifting to quickly will be a mistake, numbers are rising again we still need to be careful. Whole years are being sent home from school including one of my grandsons, all of my granddaughters friends are in isolation as is one of my daughters. This is isn't over yet.
I agree. I'm a member of the Holmfirth Community Facebook group, and have been alarmed by the rate with which restrictions have been lifted. The infection rate at the high school seems to be increasing apace. The same thing is happening here in the States, except that school is out for the summer, so it currently isn't the major source of spread.

Apart from being allowed to eat indoors I haven't noticed much difference, unfortunately. I'm beginning to find the prospect of masks and social distancing forever to be depressing. A precedent has been set, and since respiratory viruses always spread most in autumn and winter then I can see pressure to have restrictions every year from now on ...
I hope the concept of keeping a safe distance is now a permanent part of the psyche. Some of the ways we interacted with one another pre-pandemic were inherently dangerous. Given the reduction in spread of all respiratory viruses with distancing and masking, I will continue to try to keep a distance, and will mask whenever people are likely to come too close. All it takes is for someone to exhale near me with such a low level of a respiratory virus that they're symptom-free, and I'm down with it for weeks.

While I do understand that lifting restrictions too quickly will be a mistake, I do believe that one day in the future, we will have something in the way of pre-lockdown life. But, for now, we must make the best of whatever of life's freedoms we do have.

We have been to our first VW festival since restrictions were changed this weekend. Originally they had sold 20,000+ tickets but had to cut that number down to 4,000, restrict the amount of traders and scrap the large music marquees in favour of pop up sites.
Still a great weekend though.

We were kicked out of the pub where we watched the England game last night as a couple of our party went over and were chatting with others on a different table. I appreciate it's strictly against the current rules but it indicates just how mad life has become, I'm hoping that will change on the 19th

It the inconsistency I find hard to swallow , some pubs you check in some you don't some table service is bar staff with pen and paper others have tablets some have apps , same goes for cafe's and restaurants , some cafes in shops you check in but not the shops themselves . It shows that if you offer generalist advice then organisations interpret it differently if its precise then there is no room for the issues I describe. If you close the door to interpretation it ensures consistency . No one wants to be told what to do but sometimes its necessary and that's where it has fallen down.

It the inconsistency I find hard to swallow , some pubs you check in some you don't some table service is bar staff with pen and paper others have tablets some have apps , same goes for cafe's and restaurants , some cafes in shops you check in but not the shops themselves . It shows that if you offer generalist advice then organisations interpret it differently if its precise then there is no room for the issues I describe. If you close the door to interpretation it ensures consistency . No one wants to be told what to do but sometimes its necessary and that's where it has fallen down.

Well, I don't mind table service, but what I can't do is order or pay by apps. My mobile phone (Nokia 2310) is of an older type that just can't do that sort of thing. I would do better ordering in person and paying by cash or card. I know going online may be the future of hospitality and retail, or even life in general, but there also needs to be an alternative for those who can't, or don't want, to do things that way. And' I can't be carting my laptop around everytime I want to eat out.

We were kicked out of the pub where we watched the England game last night as a couple of our party went over and were chatting with others on a different table. I appreciate it's strictly against the current rules but it indicates just how mad life has become, I'm hoping that will change on the 19th

It's like when you wear a mask in a restaurant only when not sitting at the table as if that's going to make a difference. I saw something recently that suggested plastic screens in restaurants may actually be counterproductive by impeding air flow. In some ways we're still floundering with medieval mindsets.

Well, I don't mind table service, but what I can't do is order or pay by apps. My mobile phone (Nokia 2310) is of an older type that just can't do that sort of thing. I would do better ordering in person and paying by cash or card. I know going online may be the future of hospitality and retail, or even life in general, but there also needs to be an alternative for those who can't, or don't want, to do things that way. And' I can't be carting my laptop around everytime I want to eat out.
Hang in there! I firmly state that -- no I'm not willing to do that new thing whatever that might be. So you can't pay by apps. Just go to those places where you can choose how you may pay.

Hang in there! I firmly state that -- no I'm not willing to do that new thing whatever that might be. So you can't pay by apps. Just go to those places where you can choose how you may pay.

If that means we can't visit previously tried and well loved places, then sadly, I guess we will just have to live with it.

Back