Just seen this...

Glad they enjoyed themselves its a lovely town and this visit shows how the show spans the world (BBC take note ,you cant do this nowadaydays) .

If it was an organized American tour group it could have been sponsored by a regional public television station. I believe the British Sitcom following under Maryland Public television is strong enough to sponsor such trips. Recently, they showed glimpes of London attractions and brief descriptions between the shows. I believe this was during and shortly after the Olympics. My thought was "why don't they show more of the English Countryside since so many of their shows, Summer Wine, KUA, Open All Hours, etc. take place outside of London.

I envy the folks of the tour group but when I eventually get to go, I will aim to spend quality time roaming around on my own using fellow members' advice on where to go as well as using the maps and locations section of this forum for help.

I enjoyed watching the report mainly because of the "behind the scenes" stuff they showed.Like the Director talking to Brian Wilde.I have always enjoyed this type of thing.It is also nice to see that Summerwine still has a big place in peoples hearts throughout different parts of the world and long may it last.

Hector.

Seeing that has has made me want to go again, we only went a few weeks ago but my husand has a week off soon so may just wonder up there again..... I can taste the fish and chips and the tea and scones now :)

Thanks Welshy, as an American and of course speaking for myself, I think we miss some of the best times of our lives rushing around all over trying to get things done. (as my boss would say) "In a hundred years it won't make a difference anyway". I like what the lady said about admiring the countryside, Its beautiful. I hope to make it over there at some point in my life. Thanks for sharing.

We go pretty much every Spring. Fly RDU to Heathrow, rental
car North, in a pub by noon-ish.

Usually we hit Holmfirth, Hawes, and Haworth, staying
in B&Bs or (lately) self-catering cottages.

Stay in Holmfirth and you can hike on up to Holme and
back, or over to Jackson Bridge, Hepworth, and Scholes,
and back. Can drive or bus to Marsden for Auntie's and
all the canal and tunnel views.

Haworth gets you The Railway Children walk and the
K&WV railway from Full Steam Behind.

Go. You'll love it!!

It is amazing how this show is loved from close to home and far and wide. May it live in our hearts forever..

We go pretty much every Spring. Fly RDU to Heathrow, rental
car North, in a pub by noon-ish.

Usually we hit Holmfirth, Hawes, and Haworth, staying
in B&Bs or (lately) self-catering cottages.

Stay in Holmfirth and you can hike on up to Holme and
back, or over to Jackson Bridge, Hepworth, and Scholes,
and back. Can drive or bus to Marsden for Auntie's and
all the canal and tunnel views.

Haworth gets you The Railway Children walk and the
K&WV railway from Full Steam Behind.

Go. You'll love it!!

Chuck, you have it made. I certainly want to travel by car rental. One of the many things I want to do when I get there (if possible) is to travel along the route that Entwistle took the guys in "Follow That Bottle".

I know it is a good bit out of the way but while I am in that direction I would love to see the castle on the shore in Berwick Upon Tweed. Actually, I could make that a coastal road trip from there to Scarborough. Then again, Entwistle's comments have me curious about Hull.

Having said all of this, As Time Goes By has me wanting to travel various parts of Hampshire and of course, Fawlty Towers has me wanting to go to Torquay.

Sorry if I got too off track!

OK, just to correct myself. I was referring to Bamburgh Castle, which of course is not right at Berwick Upon Tweed.

Also, regarding Summer wine's popularity in the US. I am not sure what percentage of the country is able to get Summer Wine or has ever seen it. As popular as it is here, if all Public Television stations carried, then it could be REALLY popular!

Thanks Welshy, as an American and of course speaking for myself, I think we miss some of the best times of our lives rushing around all over trying to get things done. (as my boss would say) "In a hundred years it won't make a difference anyway". I like what the lady said about admiring the countryside, Its beautiful. I hope to make it over there at some point in my life. Thanks for sharing.

Mega dittos!!! I love admiring the countryside also. My heart thumps like Big Ben when I see the long shots of the scenery. I hope to make it across the Pond at some point in time.

Back