Just in Case

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Tomorrow (26th) I am changing my internet provider,main reason is to save money, and it should save me £211 over the next 18 month's, but as BT often get things wrong,I may not be able to get on-line for a while,I have made provisions to use wireless if it does go wrong.

The good news is by the time the 18 months is up we should have a firmer date for high speed internet, just my luck they have started the other end of the county and it will be 2 years before we might get it

Terry

Wonder what you Brits classify as High Speed Internet??

We currently have DSL thru our phone company, and
we only get about 1.5Mbps down and .4 Mbps up.
Pretty damned slow, but they say that's all we are
"conditioned" for. This is a bit too slow for frequent
torrent downloads from TheBox.bz, but otherwise
it's ok. Not sure what switching to the cable company
would do for us.

Wonder what you Brits classify as High Speed Internet??

We currently have DSL thru our phone company, and
we only get about 1.5Mbps down and .4 Mbps up.
Pretty damned slow, but they say that's all we are
"conditioned" for. This is a bit too slow for frequent
torrent downloads from TheBox.bz, but otherwise
it's ok. Not sure what switching to the cable company
would do for us.

Well at the moment I get around 7Mbs Down and the up is fixed at .4Mbs
High speed comes is various flavours, the Basic is
40 Mbs Down and 10 Mbs up
also available is
80 Mbs Down and 20 Mbs up

This will be provided using FTTC, fibre to the local cabinet

If you want higher speed the FTTH/FTTP fibre to the home/premises will do the trick

300 Mbs Down and 40 Mbs up

A few parts of the UK have 1Gbs down and 100 Mbs up

None of this relates to speeds available from cable companies who offer up to 100 Mbs down and various upload speeds

Tomorrow (26th) I am changing my internet provider,main reason is to save money, and it should save me £211 over the next 18 month's, but as BT often get things wrong,I may not be able to get on-line for a while,I have made provisions to use wireless if it does go wrong.

The good news is by the time the 18 months is up we should have a firmer date for high speed internet, just my luck they have started the other end of the county and it will be 2 years before we might get it

Terry

ive got BT terry and normally its ok, fairly quick, the only problem is occasionally the internet connection drops out and you have to reboot the system, maybe we should change but i always say better the devil you know etc etc

Terry

ive got BT terry and normally its ok, fairly quick, the only problem is occasionally the internet connection drops out and you have to reboot the system, maybe we should change but i always say better the devil you know etc etc

Darren,I called BT today about my brother in laws BT package as he needs to go to a unlimited package,he was outside his contact period so could move without problems,,they wanted £21 a month inc 24/7 calls,I said it was to expensive and asked for the MAC code,within 5 minutes they had reduced it to £15 all in, so even if you decide to stick with them it is worth a try to reduce cost,and it is only a 12 month contract

Well my internet went over this afternoon and except for a small problem getting my own router to work with BT it is all up and running,I needed to stick with my router as opposed to the Home hub as I use voip for my telephone connections, the BT box cannot handle these

i will look at us trying to get some off next time it comes up for renewal.
i hope the new internet goes ok for you terry.

Back