I'm Back (with Series 9 comments)

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
I don't know how much severe storms in the US on June 29th made it to British news, but it caused a giant oak tree to fall on the corner of our house. It resulted in us not having electricity for a full month since the power lines were down with the tree . With things being hectic for that week I didn't think of the internet and cable lines being down as well until we got the electricity back. Only then I had to order for service repairs so I just got back to this site today. Most importantly, my family is safe.

One of the unfortunate things about my loss of internet was that I missed out on about ten days of good discussions and topics. I also missed six episodes from my public television starting with "Masculine Purse and today with Jaws. I recall Ice-Cream Man Cometh and Set the People Free being particularly outstanding episodes that I missed.

I believe the general consensus from the forum is that Seymour is "just OK" and "not great". I also recall recently comments from different members saying that the Seymour years started out slow. I recently watched my recordings of "Norman Clegg buying ladies' stockings", "Heavily Reinforced Bottom", and "Dried Dates and Codfanglers". As a result I couldn't disagree more with a lot of you about the start of this series and the start of Seymour. Not having watching season 9 for a while I was surprised to find that Seymour wasn't arrogant in those three episodes. Instead he seemed genuinely kind and brought a lot of good humor to the show. All three episodes seem really solid, and if "Why does Norman Clegg Buying Ladies' Stockings" is slow, it seems to have a natural flow to it.

I also see there are some new members here so I look forward to getting back into the swing of things.

And I might as well end this with a couple of questions. I previously commented on different series having various numbers of episodes. I am delighted to find that Series 9 has 12 epsides! But why have so many more in this series than the previous years?

Also, it has been documented that Bill Owen and Brian Wilde didn't get along. Behind the scenes, how did Michael Aldridge get along with Owen and Sallis?

We have heard a little of what is going on, but to hear it from someone that was there is differant, thank goodness you and your family are all save at the end of the day that is all that matters and I think I speak for everyone when I say welcome back.

I quit like some of the episodes you mentioned, but I found some slow. I think if you keep watching you may grow to like him. :)

Hiya Codfanglers, I love that name!
No, our news has been a bit obsessed with duff politicians, rotten banking practices and shocking floods here, so news of your storms hasn't been widely reported. What a horrible thing to have happened to you. The main thing is that you're safe.
I think in the Andrew Vine book he says that Mr Aldridge got along well with the cast, especially with Mr Sallis.

Welcome back .Cant add much more to RHI and SUSAN's comments except to say that for a former classical actor Michael Aldridge did very well with the comedy. Some of the timing was excellent! :D

I loved Seymour from the word go. He was so different to Foggy who was not particularly nice I found.

And I might as well end this with a couple of questions. I previously commented on different series having various numbers of episodes. I am delighted to find that Series 9 has 12 epsides! But why have so many more in this series than the previous years?

Also, it has been documented that Bill Owen and Brian Wilde didn't get along. Behind the scenes, how did Michael Aldridge get along with Owen and Sallis?

12 episodes in Series #9: After "Uncle of the Bride" transmitted 1 January 1986 Roy Clarke and Alan J W Bell wanted to establish Seymour as the third man in the minds of the public as quickly as possible. A six episode series had been commissioned for production in 1986 but the BBC was persuaded to commission another six episodes and the Special "Happy Christmas, Father Christmas. It is from that separate commissioning of two sets of six episodes that the DVD series numbering designating Series #9 as Series #9 & 10 derives.

Everything I read suggests Michael Aldridge went out of his way to get along with all other members of the cast. Was even prepared to spend time with Dame Thora Hird as she rabbitted on interminably over dinner each evening, something Peter Sallis could not stand.

Although Seymour episodes are generally low on my pecking order, "When You Take A Good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes Terrible" is a favourite and I do not think any other third man actor could have carried it off. Point has been made somewhere that for a classical actor Michael Aldridge did well with comedy. But genuine actors can manage any genre. For a real actor there is no difference between comedy and drama. Think of Sir Alec Guinness and his vast array of roles. In his way, Peter Sallis is a great all round actor but has chosen very much to concentrate on the comedy genre.

A six episode series had been commissioned for production in 1986 but the BBC was persuaded to commission another six episodes and the Special "Happy Christmas, Father Christmas. It is from that separate commissioning of two sets of six episodes that the DVD series numbering designating Series #9 as Series #9 & 10 derives.

Although Seymour episodes are generally low on my pecking order, "When You Take A Good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes Terrible" is a favourite and I do not think any other third man actor could have carried it off.

Rereading my earlier post, in my comments on DVD series numbering the phrase " sheer unadulterated idiocy" should have figured prominently. Still think it the biggest con pulled on we fans.

Another great Seymour episode was Series #11 "Come Back, Jack Harry Teesdale". But, in contrast that could have been pulled off by Foggy also.

Although Seymour episodes are generally low on my pecking order, "When You Take A Good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes Terrible" is a favourite and I do not think any other third man actor could have carried it off. Point has been made somewhere that for a classical actor Michael Aldridge did well with comedy. But genuine actors can manage any genre. For a real actor there is no difference between comedy and drama. Think of Sir Alec Guinness and his vast array of roles. In his way, Peter Sallis is a great all round actor but has chosen very much to concentrate on the comedy genre.

Thanks for the info, Big Unc. I recently have been recommended "When You Take A Good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes Terrible". It is scheduled to air on Thursday, so I should catch it. As I rely on one single television station to watch Summer Wine in rotation from beginning to end I know certain episodes very well, a little familiar with others, and for some reason always fail to catch the others. I will look for "Come Back, Jack Harry Teesdale" later. I might not have seen that one yet.

As for comments about the Seymour episodes sometimes being slow. I just don't see that. Oh well, we will all have differing opinions on ceretain things.

[I recently have been recommended "When You Take A Good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes Terrible". It is scheduled to air on Thursday, so I should catch it.

You will appreciate the US connection in "When You Take A Good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes Terrible".

12 episodes in Series #9: After "Uncle of the Bride" transmitted 1 January 1986 Roy Clarke and Alan J W Bell wanted to establish Seymour as the third man in the minds of the public as quickly as possible. A six episode series had been commissioned for production in 1986 but the BBC was persuaded to commission another six episodes and the Special "Happy Christmas, Father Christmas. It is from that separate commissioning of two sets of six episodes that the DVD series numbering designating Series #9 as Series #9 & 10 derives.

Everything I read suggests Michael Aldridge went out of his way to get along with all other members of the cast. Was even prepared to spend time with Dame Thora Hird as she rabbitted on interminably over dinner each evening, something Peter Sallis could not stand.

I was trying to praise Michael Aldridge Unc not put him down! I just wanted to keep it short about how talented he was. Not being loquacious I didn't want to overdo it!

I was trying to praise Michael Aldridge Unc not put him down! I just wanted to keep it short about how talented he was. Not being loquacious I didn't want to overdo it!

Be reassured! Did not intend to imply that you were in any way trying to put Michael Aldridge down. In contrast I must confess to a significant tendency to loquaciousness.

Be reassured! Did not intend to imply that you were in any way trying to put Michael Aldridge down. In contrast I must confess to a significant tendency to loquaciousness.
Point taken.Another classical actor who did comedy springs to mind as I type... ALISTAIR SIM in his ST TRINIANS role :D

When Foggy left I was all prepared to not like the next 3rd man, but I could not help but like Seymour. He was a big lovable goofy fun guy who never seemed to be bored or run out of ideas. Much like a good natured little baby that is constantly exploring and getting into things but never bored and never in a bad mood. (Like my little neice :) ) Yes, I liked Seymour a lot. From what I've read, Michael Aldridge went out of his way to be nice to everyone on the set, tried esp. hard to get along with the cantankerous Bill Owen and succeeded, and by the sheer good nature of his personality forced the other 2 men to eat together and enjoy each other's company. (Before they would go their own way during breaks.) It was due to the illness of his wife that Michael had to very regretfully leave the show. A show he enjoyed very much doing. And also sadly as often happens, the sick person outlived the caretaker, for he died not long after and the wife lived on. He sounds like a nice person in real life and deserved a better break.

I liked Seymour, it´s not this character´s fault that I prefer the first Foggy era, it´s just the general atmosphere. I found many Seymour episodes really funny. And yes, it seems he did get on very well with the rest of the cast. I never asked Peter about it, but it appears that they got on very well. I know Peter did some Poirot audio play in the 80´s and it was broadcast on Christmas Day and Michael Aldridge found Peter´s accent so funny that he called him and told him he couldn´t stuff the goose because he was rolling on the floor :D. So they must have got along well.

Yes, Foggy was my favorite of all, but as I said, Seymour did a great job in filling in that 3rd man role, but different from Foggy. The Foggy years were my favorites though, to me watching a show with Foggy is like watching the real LOSW.

Just reading through these posts. As I started with my opening comments I made a type-o about not having electricity for a month. It was a week but I guess it seemed like a long month with Summer wine or this forum.

Now I see the difference in Seymour in hi first three episodes, where he seemed like a nutty but friendly eccentric type, from Edie in the Automobile, which I saw today. Now further in, the Seymour character developed the "highly educated, know -it-all" personality. He is still enjoyable though.

I believe "When You Take A Good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes Terrible" is scheduled for Thursday. I will be going to the beach on Wednesday, but will luckily catch Summer wine on Thursday.

I appreciate Seymour, his series were the ones current when I first had a recorder, so they are recalled better for me. The earlier Foggy ones had to wait until Classic GOLD got into its stride and tapes became available.

The fact was he was so different made it very helpful, also in my opinion a total barmpot so raising him greatly in my esteem!

Back