I Didn't Know You Cared

sewellb

Recently finished watching an old series with the above title that was billed on You Tube as like LOTSW. It did have John Comer(Sid) in it but in my mind that was as far as it went. I'm pretty sure it was a Yorkshire based comedy, a little dark, but I did enjoy watching it. You might take a look.

Does anyone remember this program?

Recently finished watching an old series with the above title that was billed on You Tube as like LOTSW. It did have John Comer(Sid) in it but in my mind that was as far as it went. I'm pretty sure it was a Yorkshire based comedy, a little dark, but I did enjoy watching it. You might take a look.

Yes I do. It had Liz Smith and Anita Carey in it who have both been in lotsw.

Yes I watched the entire series as well. I personally like the first 2 series better then the latter. I loved the Uncle Mort character. He always made me laugh.
I used to attend a men's group at church and I used the idea of putting up a flag when we were all meeting to let others know we were there, like they would do at their shed.
It has been a while, I need to watch it again.

I remember this,but not seen it for years,my home town Mexborough often gets a mention,and the pub and lock and other outdoor locations are literally two minutes walk away.

Loved this, the "Uncle Mort" character (Robin Bailey) used to visit relatives near to where I lived! :wink: :)

Will give it a look. Howdy Sewellb, seen you been on for a while, glad to see you are joining in the forum. I am a 3 year fan from Tennessee.

Brenda

Last edited:
I also enjoyed the show,it ran at a different pace to LOSW,I spotted that Ronnie Hazlehurst did the music for a couple of the episodes

They were based on a series of books by Peter Tinniswood. As I recall, the plots of thebooks became quite weird.

I see that another, earlier, series by Roy Clarke - The Growing Pains of PC Penrose, has been released on DVD. Some characters very similar to those found in LOSW. My order has gone in.

I remember this,but not seen it for years,my home town Mexborough often gets a mention,and the pub and lock and other outdoor locations are literally two minutes walk away.

Very cool, I did a street view on Google of Mexborough, how far from the Adwick road round-a-bout was the bar and all ?

Hi Darin,hope you are having a great day,
I can't get my head round the fact that someone in Florida is google earthing Mexborough !!!
I don't live far from the Adwick road roundabout,I'd forgotten about the programme but remember all watching it when I was younger because it was filmed round here,
All I can remember from the outdoor locations was seeing the pub on a corner next to a hump back bridge,I think that was featured quite often,and remember them once filming and sat on some lock swing gates on the canal right next to the pub,
The pub is still there,its called the Red House,I could go out now and take a photo of it as it is today,my memory is very vague on the outdoor locations for this,if it is that pub,from the Adwick rd roundabout you go all the way down the dual carriageway,turn left,and the pub will be on your left,if it is that one,I'll take a photo and put it in the members photos,were there any more regular outdoor locations? they were all filmed in Mexborough and Swinton.
Enjoy you day,Pete.

joppyuk1 I had completely forgotten about The perils of PC Penrose yet it was one of my favourite shows when it was aired,will look out for that dvd thanks,had no idea it was written by Roy Clarke.

Hi Darin,hope you are having a great day,
I can't get my head round the fact that someone in Florida is google earthing Mexborough !!!
I don't live far from the Adwick road roundabout,I'd forgotten about the programme but remember all watching it when I was younger because it was filmed round here,
All I can remember from the outdoor locations was seeing the pub on a corner next to a hump back bridge,I think that was featured quite often,and remember them once filming and sat on some lock swing gates on the canal right next to the pub,
The pub is still there,its called the Red House,I could go out now and take a photo of it as it is today,my memory is very vague on the outdoor locations for this,if it is that pub,from the Adwick rd roundabout you go all the way down the dual carriageway,turn left,and the pub will be on your left,if it is that one,I'll take a photo and put it in the members photos,were there any more regular outdoor locations? they were all filmed in Mexborough and Swinton.
Enjoy you day,Pete.

That would be great, I watched an episode today and they were walking along a canal. I'll go on Google earth and follow your directions to the pub and see if I'm good enough to find it.
Yes I Google earth places, I love to see the towns over there. So quaint and awesome!!! Seem very neighborly.
I hope someday I can come and visit the Yorkshire area. I don't have much interest in seeing London, but I would love to see the countryside.
I used watch a TV show here that had a gentleman showing and talking about vintage tractors and such. It was called Vintage Country Ways, anyways, I'd record it and watch it to see the beautiful countryside. Very nice.

Got a few busy days working 8-8 which means I am out of the house from 7am to 9pm,but as soon as I can I will take a photo,they don't show it here,and I havn't got the dvd,and its years and years since I'v seen it and I just can't remember the outdoor locations,but I know it was based in my town,and filmed here,I can definitely remember filming at the Red house,with someone hanging out of the window,and I can see them now sat on the lock gates on either side as they were opening,
I don't know if these were regular locations,or if they were just for that particular scene,I'll post a photo and see if you recognise them,but it may not be for a few days,also planning a walk when off,its how I relax,I'll watch an episode of Summerwine then have a lovely relaxed stroll through the locations I'v just seen,often stopping to pause and imagine the characters that were once there,
I'v recently watched Follow that bottle and quite fancy a walk along that river and by the bridge,will post a couple of photos when I do go,
Take care everyone,
Pete x

Got a few busy days working 8-8 which means I am out of the house from 7am to 9pm,but as soon as I can I will take a photo,they don't show it here,and I havn't got the dvd,and its years and years since I'v seen it and I just can't remember the outdoor locations,but I know it was based in my town,and filmed here,I can definitely remember filming at the Red house,with someone hanging out of the window,and I can see them now sat on the lock gates on either side as they were opening,
I don't know if these were regular locations,or if they were just for that particular scene,I'll post a photo and see if you recognise them,but it may not be for a few days,also planning a walk when off,its how I relax,I'll watch an episode of Summerwine then have a lovely relaxed stroll through the locations I'v just seen,often stopping to pause and imagine the characters that were once there,
I'v recently watched Follow that bottle and quite fancy a walk along that river and by the bridge,will post a couple of photos when I do go,
Take care everyone,
Pete x

Hey Pete, Finally got on Google maps and followed your directions. I'm not sure if I found the bar or not. I followed the dual carriage way down to Station Rd and on the left looks like it could have been the bar, however it looks boarded up/ closed down. I also looked around and saw the locks that might have been used. Not sure though on either, I'd have to go back and watch some episodes again to see.
Of course things change and such, but it was neat to see the locks.
Take care,
Darin

I put a couple of photos up on the members photos section Darin,can definitely remember them filming there,but don't know if they were regular locations,
If weather improves going for a walk around Holmfirth area at the weekend,
All the best,Pete.

Back