Group Chat

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
In a few weeks time we will be updating the forum software,I will tell you more about that in a separate thread soon

I just thought after the update why don't we have a members chat hour,at a time and day that would suit most of the members bearing in mind the different time zones,so we could all catch up with each other once a week,I would think a weekend would suit most folk,maybe a Saturday evening,lets face it there is nothing on the telly,let me know what you think

Terry

Sounds like a great idea, bring us all together at the same time.

Will some people get a word in edgewise do you think? :35::35:

Saturdays are usually good for me just name the time. :D

Like it - agree Saturday evenings are a bit sparse on the entertainment front!

Here's a word Pearl, to get in edgewise -FISHSLICE!!

::) ::) ::)

In a few weeks time we will be updating the forum software,I will tell you more about that in a separate thread soon

I just thought after the update why don't we have a members chat hour,at a time and day that would suit most of the members bearing in mind the different time zones,so we could all catch up with each other once a week,I would think a weekend would suit most folk,maybe a Saturday evening,lets face it there is nothing on the telly,let me know what you think

Terry

At first I was slightly taken aback at the prospect of chatting at 1:00 AM, but in the long run it will work out as I am usually still awake at that time. You know "the older you get, the less sleep you need" thing.

Actually we are behind in hours so it should be late afternoon for us across the pond. :)

At first I was slightly taken aback at the prospect of chatting at 1:00 AM, but in the long run it will work out as I am usually still awake at that time. You know "the older you get, the less sleep you need" thing.
Speak for yourself. I keep sleeping in in a morning lately. :eek:
8)

Here's a word Pearl, to get in edgewise -FISHSLICE!!

::) ::) ::)

Codswollop? :D

No, young Pearl, not Codswollop (and that should read 'Codswallop', but not a lot of people know that):

'A frequently given etymology, rejected as a folk etymology, derives it from Hiram Codd, British soft drink maker of the 1870s, known for the eponymous Codd-neck bottle, with the suggestion that codswallop is a derisive term for soft drinks by beer drinkers, from Codd’s + wallop (“beer (slang)”) “Codd’s beer (sarcastic)”. This is widely rejected – there is no evidence that early uses had this sense, the slang wallop (“beer”) comes later than Codd’s lifetime,[1] initial spellings (1963 in print) do not reflect such a derivation (*Codd’s wallop and *coddswallop with -dd- are not found), and there is an 80 year gap between proposed coinage and attestation.

This is also the name given to the wooden device placed over the neck of a codd bottle and given a push (wallop) to dislodge the marble in the neck of the bottle. The word has also been used to describe the process of opening a codd bottle.'

The concept of a FISHSLICE for getting a word in edgewise is straight from Michael Flanders (MF) and Donald Swann introduction to 'The Gasman Cometh:

MF: This year we've been touring England's depressed areas and may I say what a pleasure it is to be here in London, my goodness. It is, isn't it? Hm?
DS: I think it is. I concur with every word you say.
MF: I must say, wandering around - he's trying to get his bit in - wandering around, things have come to a pretty underpass here in England while we've been away. It's small wonder to us that satire squats, hoof in mouth, under every bush. The purpose of satire, it has been rightfully said, is to strip of the veneer of comforting illusion and cozy half-truth, and our job, as I see it, is to put it back again. With this in mind we offer you some more of our respectable songs for responsible people under the title of "At the Drop of . . ."
DS: "Another!"
MF: "Hat." Well done! You got it then . . .
DS: Got it in the end, haha!
MF: Bang on, marvelously. Don't you say I never let you get a word in will you . . .
DS: No, I won't.
MF: . . . a word in edgeways, like "fish slice".

Or if you prefer, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YWnfeddJ8A

No, young Pearl, not Codswollop (and that should read 'Codswallop', but not a lot of people know that):

'A frequently given etymology, rejected as a folk etymology, derives it from Hiram Codd, British soft drink maker of the 1870s, known for the eponymous Codd-neck bottle, with the suggestion that codswallop is a derisive term for soft drinks by beer drinkers, from Codd’s + wallop (“beer (slang)”) “Codd’s beer (sarcastic)”. This is widely rejected – there is no evidence that early uses had this sense, the slang wallop (“beer”) comes later than Codd’s lifetime,[1] initial spellings (1963 in print) do not reflect such a derivation (*Codd’s wallop and *coddswallop with -dd- are not found), and there is an 80 year gap between proposed coinage and attestation.

This is also the name given to the wooden device placed over the neck of a codd bottle and given a push (wallop) to dislodge the marble in the neck of the bottle. The word has also been used to describe the process of opening a codd bottle.'

The concept of a FISHSLICE for getting a word in edgewise is straight from Michael Flanders (MF) and Donald Swann introduction to 'The Gasman Cometh:

MF: This year we've been touring England's depressed areas and may I say what a pleasure it is to be here in London, my goodness. It is, isn't it? Hm?
MF: I must say, wandering around - he's trying to get his bit in - wandering around, things have come to a pretty underpass here in England while we've been away. It's small wonder to us that satire squats, hoof in mouth, under every bush. The purpose of satire, it has been rightfully said, is to strip of the veneer of comforting illusion and cozy half-truth, and our job, as I see it, is to put it back again. With this in mind we offer you some more of our respectable songs for responsible people under the title of "At the Drop of . . ."
MF: Bang on, marvelously. Don't you say I never let you get a word in will you . . .

I stand here corrected and confused :29:

Rumbled - it was that LP that was at the back of my mind when I wrote it! Is Big Unc secretly part of the thought police :32: :30: :13: :42:

At the drop of .. another HAT

Rumbled - it was that LP that was at the back of my mind when I wrote it! Is Big Unc secretly part of the thought police :32: :30: :13: :42:

I don't think there is anything secret about it :me::me::me:

And the younger you are, the less time you have to sleep! LOL Sounds like a good idea to me since I usually go to bed late and wake up early. Lately I've been going to sleep at 5am if I even go to sleep at all and waking up at 7am. (Except this past Tuesday, I slept until noon because I had cried all night). Anyway, since I don't really sleep and I barely eat, I should be available whenever ya'll decide to get us together. On the 14th, I'll be starting my new job, so that will really limit my availability, but I'll jump that creek when I get to it. ;D

Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea. I work on Saturday's but my hours vary so will jump in when I can.
Marilyn

I can generally recognise a quote from Flanders and Swann, Rumpole, Gilbert and Sullivan (strictly speaking, Gilbert) or Shakespeare at fifty paces.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I can generally recognise a quote from Flanders and Swann, Rumpole, Gilbert and Sullivan (strictly speaking, Gilbert) or Shakespeare at fifty paces.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Must admit F & S are often quoted by myself

love the one about the council having a decent set of old burghers! We have to remember that their humour was partly dictated by the customs and conventions of the 1950s.

But "don't fight people! Ridiculous!" :37::37:

Back