FOTSW Music??

in the vine book it says producer/director choice was 2 use music from the period, doestn say why tho, probly 1 of those things we will never kno

Either George or Big Unc (sorry...can't remember which one) said Al Bowly (sp)
sang the intro song. The music is one of the reasons I like this series
so much and am glad period music was used.

Either George or Big Unc (sorry...can't remember which one) said Al Bowly (sp)
sang the intro song. The music is one of the reasons I like this series
so much and am glad period music was used.

Interesting, FOTSW DVD cover and Wikipedia say Al Bowlly composed "Sweet and Lovely". I am far from sure that is right. Yes, his 1931 version was used as theme tune for FOTSW but it seems to have been written by first, Harry Tobias was the lyricist. Second, Gus Arnheim was a bandleader and shrewd businessman--not a songwriter. So the tune’s composer was Charles N. Daniels. But the original sheet music lists him under one of his pseudonyms, “Jules Lemare.” (His other pen name was “Neil Moret.”)

Interesting, FOTSW DVD cover and Wikipedia say Al Bowlly composed "Sweet and Lovely". I am far from sure that is right. Yes, his 1931 version was used as theme tune for FOTSW but it seems to have been written by first, Harry Tobias was the lyricist. Second, Gus Arnheim was a bandleader and shrewd businessman--not a songwriter. So the tune’s composer was Charles N. Daniels. But the original sheet music lists him under one of his pseudonyms, “Jules Lemare.” (His other pen name was “Neil Moret.”)

Just in case anyone misconstrues that rather badly composed posting, I am not disputing that Al Bowlly sang the "Sweet and Lovely" version used as theme music for FOTSW. I am just querying that he composed the song in the first place. In 1931 it was a hit for Bing Crosby singing with the band of Gus Arnheim, one of the listed composers on the original sheet music.

Big Unc - no dispute there at all. I have heard that in the 1930s there was a lot of writing (and recording) under different names to get round contractual issues with recording companies.

I think the use of period music was important.

I've not heard Bing Crosby sing Sweet and Lovely. After hearing Al Bowly
sing it I can't imagine BC singing it! ;) :)

On one website it suggests he recorded it twice, first in 1931 and then:
'"Sweet and Lovely” made a return appearance in 1944 in the film Two Girls and a Sailor, and Crosby did a remake of his 1931 hit, again making the charts.'

Unfortunately there does not seem to be a Bing Crosby version available on YouTube but there certainly is a reference to it (as if it used to be available at one time).

It made #9 in US Charts in 1931 and the remake for the film "Two Girls and a Sailor" made #27 in 1944.

Thanks, Big Unc, I'm going to look for the movie. :)

Done a bit more research. Yes Bing Crosby recorded song in 1931 and had a significant hit. However, I have now reinterpreted the following:

'“Sweet and Lovely” made a return appearance in 1944 in the film Two Girls and a Sailor, and Crosby did a remake of his 1931 hit, again making the charts.'

Yes , the song was in the film but performed by June Allyson and Gloria DeHaven. Bing Crosby did a remake to take advantage of the film and again had a bit of a hit.

I have checked my record collection: I have it on Columbia CB376 labelled as a slow foxtrot played by the Savoy Hotel Orpheans, credits on parentheses (as on most 78s) read - Arnheim Tobias Lemare.

Given that Carroll Gibbons's name was added to that of Savoy Orpheans in 1932 for recordings this would mean that is an early cover version of the original.

Incidentally there is one for sale on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/78-10-COLUMBIA-CB376-SAVOY-HOTEL-ORPHEANS-/120837366166#ht_523wt_952

and at that price (£12.95) I had better get my household insurance upped!

My copy on a CD is by Russ Columbo who apparently recorded it in September 1931. I understand that each record label would get out a record of all the major songs, sometimes with aliases to protect artistes from breaking their contractual arrangements about recording or not working with other bands.

Back