for good friends they were callous sometimes

C W Northrop

Dedicated Member
e.g in The Experiment when Compo and Clegg walked off leaving Seymour hanging upside down or the Self Propelled Salad Strainer where Foggy and Clegg waved at Compo as he was rescued from the roof then walked off

They did often leave one of their "friends" hanging, literally. From trees or ladders or walls, 2 would walk off while the other fought for his life. I guess in the Road Runner toon mentality it's funny, but I've always been shocked how they can just walk away or just lie in the grass while the other one is yelling for help. A bit odd and callous for sure. Guess Roy Clarke didn't think twice about it.

At the end of 'Unexplored by man' Clegg and Foggy just wander off and leave Compo in the wardrobe at the bottom of the steps and just Wally to tend to him.

I just watched Art of Concealment where Foggy has the mob of angry bicyclists chasing after him and all Clegg and Compo could do is laugh. Afterwards, there were still laughing at Foggy at the cafe sharing Foggy's troubles with Sid.

Clarke sometimes put Foggy and Seymour in their place to bring them into reality and out of their "dillusions of grandeur".

Leaving one hanging is one thing , some of Cleggs answers to Compo were another thing altogether.
"Why does he do that Norm?"
" Cause he thinks you're scruffy and repulsive!"

And so on!

As I read this, I vividly recall "The Flag And Its Snag" where in the final scene, Foggy ls left standing at attention while Compo and Clegg walk away.

As I read this, I vividly recall "The Flag And Its Snag" where in the final scene, Foggy ls left standing at attention while Compo and Clegg walk away.

They often walked away - especially in earlier episodes - when they thought Foggy was being extra daft ...

That's right, but that wasn't being callous. We're talking about walking off while your "friend" is in dire straits, physically in danger. This is the kind of walking off that always seems oddly cold and non-caring.

Back