Foggy's regimental scarf

Sometime in Series 5 or 6 I believe. As he didn't wear it in Series 7 or afterwards.

I have commented on this before in the previous forum. I always loved the regimental scarf. It always added to Foggy's delusional military glory. He carried his pride with him all while in the company of those who are anything but disciplined (Clegg and Compo). I always like the irony in that.

And to add to that....correct me if I am wrong. The only character to ever be honored for his military duties was the unassuming Compo in Last Post and Pigeon. This is so ironic considering years and years of Foggy's military stories and Compo's misfit tendencies.

I have commented on this before in the previous forum. I always loved the regimental scarf. It always added to Foggy's delusional military glory. He carried his pride with him all while in the company of those who are anything but disciplined (Clegg and Compo). I always like the irony in that.

And to add to that....correct me if I am wrong. The only character to ever be honored for his military duties was the unassuming Compo in Last Post and Pigeon. This is so ironic considering years and years of Foggy's military stories and Compo's misfit tendencies.
U;m sure the 'Compo Dunkirk backstory was created for Last Post And Pigeon,Compo had previously stated he spent the war in Aldershot

I think it was in Day of the WElsh Ferret when he says he spent the war in Aldershot. Barry asks him about Penguins and he says he was there. I could well be wrong but I think it was that episode.

I would tend to agree that the Dunkirk storyline was done just for that particular episode.I watched an episode the other day and Compo mentions about he and his mate deserting.(I think he mentions deserting a few times throughout the series but i could be wrong)His mate had to get home as he was worried about his wife having a baby.So he needed to get back home to make sure she had one ;D.Last Post and Pidgeon was still a nice story/episode.

Hector.

I would not argue that Roy Clarke decided the Dunkirk story for Compo's last Special but would point out that it is quite consistent with "spending the war in Aldershot". Remember just how early Dunkirk was in the war. Many troops would have come back from Dunkirk and been home-based thereafter.

Foggy's regimental scarf is amusing in an ironic sense in that it is not strictly speaking a "regimental" scarf. He was in the Royal Army Service Corp. No way would I decry our forces in that Corp but it was hardly the first regiment of the line. In many ways it was the Corp that got all the jobs they could not fit into any other organisation. Like corporal signwriters. In modern times it has gone through two transformations, first to Royal Corp of Transport and now Royal Logistics Corp.

I think it was in Day of the WElsh Ferret when he says he spent the war in Aldershot. Barry asks him about Penguins and he says he was there. I could well be wrong but I think it was that episode.
he alsso mentioned Aldershot in The Glory Hole when talking about his war friend he hadnt seen for 50 years who only lived down the road :)

I was watching, A bicycle made for three today and a few wartime comments cropped up about Compo in Aldershot."Dying a lot in Aldershot were they"?,asked Clegg which i think implies that Compo never got any further than Aldershot. Cleggy also quipped,"Ah yes,but you knew him in wartime,he never went near the front." ;D

Hector.

Sometime in Series 5 or 6 I believe. As he didn't wear it in Series 7 or afterwards.

Compo had it on in The Frozen Turkey Man when he fell in the dung heap at the end. That was Series 7.

actually chuffer that scarf was the kids whos scooter they borrowed, it look more like a leeds united scarf than Foggy's regimental one

Oh right, same colours, different pattern. In which case, series 6 was the last time it was seen.

Back
Top Bottom