First record or album

amos hames

Dedicated Member
Can anyone remember the first record or album that they bought.My first single
was i don't like mondays by the boomtown rats.Not sure about album might have
been Jonh Lennon in 1980.would like to hear other peoples stories about their
albums or even their favourite singers.Don't know if this topic has been covered
before. :)

I bought Gilbert O'Sullivan's album 'I'm a Writer not a Fighter' with my very first wage in '71 or '72.I think I've still got it somewhere.

Until the age of 13 I spent most of those years in a hospital in Hampshire,this was in the 50's & 60's, in the large ward they had a speaker on the wall which was on for several hours a day playing the radio, I must of been about 13 and I like the song they kept playing titled "You can never stop me Loving you" by Kenny Lynch, somehow I managed to get one of the nurses to buy it for me and I gave her my pocket money,we had a small record player on the ward and I must of worn that record out

I cannot recall what I bought after that but I am pretty sure it would of been the first Beatles Album or maybe the single

This got me thinking way back to 1958 and my first single. I am fairly certain it was by Ricky Nelson after a lot of soul-searching and best guess is "Stood Up" which made 27th in UK charts. It would have been a 45 rpm single - in those days you could still get 78 rpm. Bought it from wages from my very first job - school summer holiday job as part of deck chair attendants team on Southsea Beach.

Not sure I can remember my first album. I do recall what was probably my first EP. (For the uninitiated, an EP - Extended Play - record was a 45 rpm record with two numbers on each side - total of four). It was Johnny Cash sings Hank Williams.

First LP (album) - might have been Buddy Holly, might have been Elvis Presley.

I seem to remember the eariest records i heard were when my cousins used to play their sex pistols or punk rock albums when i was about 6 0r 7.My mother used
to play Please Plase me by the Beatles a lot,She still has a lot of them.

Pretty certain it was a 78 of Lionel Hampton's
Flying Home. Mom had taken us into Portland
Maine, and a church in mid-town had tables of
used books and records. Played the record
on our old wind-up Victrola!!

chuck

MY FIRST RECORD BOUGHT WAS BUDDY HOLLY 'S FIRST LP.I LATER BOUGHT THE ROLLING STONES FIRST LP AND THEN THEIR E P (5 BY 5 ).I LATER GRADUATED TO BOB DYLAN BUT KEPT UP WITH THE STONES AND THE BEATLES AS AND WHEN MY WAGES INCREASED. ;)

I am not proud of this whatsoever, but during my pre-teens, I got into 80's hard rock and I was 11 or 12 when I bought Europe's Final Countdown. I say this with a lot of humility.

I remember now my first album was imagine by John Lennon bought by my mother
for me just after he was shot.

the first record i ever played was Exile on main street, i must have been about 8 or 9 at the time. i remember my dad going through his old LPs and saying to me that this was one of the best albums ever made, and so i took it to my room and played it and well nearly 20 years later i'm still playing it!!!!!!
first single i bought was the one off the Levi's advert 'flat beat' by flat Eric
first album was L A woman by the Doors.

I was a bit late into buying records - and did not do so until I was 19 when I purchased a portable record player and the first single was "A Whiter Shade of Pale" by Procol Harem which dates that fairly precisely.

I think my first LP was one of the Simon & Garfunkel ones - still have them all.

But for a time I bought pre-recorded tapes (reel-to-reel the precursor of cassettes) and the first one of these was Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club by Beatles. Unfortunately these have not survived multiple hosue moves over the last 40 plus years.

Hmmm....this means I've got to use my little gray cells.....I had many music
albums by the time I could afford to buy my own. My folks were into all kinds
of music which I enjoyed also. But I seem to recall that I bought "All Things
Must Pass" by George Harrison and "Imagine" by John Lennon at the same
time when I got my first job. Early 70's I think.

Hmmm .... don't know nor recognize most of what
y'all listened to, but most of it sounds like what my kids
had. Am I that much older than you guyz??? Am I
the only one into Jazz??? Sheesh.

doubt it, I am these days but when I was young and impressionable I did go for some more popular stuff. But then we had jazz records at home, all 78s from the 1930s and 1940s which I also listened to. And I still have most of those, only a few shellac pressings have bit the dust over the years - unfortunately the current turntable does not have 78 speed although I still have my 4 speed auto change box from the 1960s as well as a portable clockwork model!

I WAS LISTENING TO JAZZ ON AFN LONG BEFORE I COULD AFFORD TO BUY RECORDS. HOWEVER MY PARENTS WERE NOT AS KEEN AS I WAS AND SO THE SMALL TREE OF MY JAZZ APPRECIATION DIED. MY WIFE WAS NOT MUCH OF A FAN EITHER SO I DID NOT RECONNECT WITH JAZZ. HOWEVER I STILL LIKE TO LISTEN TO TRAD BANDS ON HOLIDAYS (PARADES ANDLOCAL SHOWS ETC) EVEN THOUGH I HAVE FORGOTTEN WHO DID WHICH TUNE. ;)

Although I am very much into Jazz, Blues and Classical music nowadays, my first album was Iron Maiden-The Number of the Beast.

I still listen to it occasionally, although my musical tastes have moved on since the early 1980's.

Back