First of The Summer Wine.

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
As I'm new I have been reading some of the old messages that have been posted. I haven't, as yet, found any reference to 'First of the Summer Wine'. Did anyone enjoy those two series? I found them very interesting and humorous.
Peri.

Yes Peri I watched them and I have the dvd`s. I thought there was a bit more mileage in the series to have at least a full 6 more episodes. And yes I do enjoy them and watch them quite regularly

I suppose you spotted the most glaring error in the series that became apparent in LOTSW. When Seymour joined the series he did not know Compo but they were together in First of the Summer Wine.:fp:
Peri.

I guess Seymour conveniently 'forgot' about knowing Compo in the past. Good eye, though. I had not noticed that they knew each other in FotSW.

There should be a few threads around here on First of the Summer Wine. Should even be a link to a FoTSW info website on here somewhere with interviews from the cast. A good read.

When I first started watching it I was unsure what to expect they were going to do with my favorite characters of LotSW. Took a little getting used to different people playing the main characters. I often thought that the younger Compo version was taller than the older version of Compo in relation to the other characters. After a bit I really started to like the show and wish that they had made more seasons of it. So much potential to the grow the Summer Wine show.

They were creating some nice backstory for the characters. Enjoyed seeing the courtship of Wally and Nora. Dilys (Joanne Heywood of Grace & Favour / Are You Being Served, Again? was a great character and actress. Lena who pursued Seymour was another good character. Seeing a young Ivy and hopefully a young Sid would have been a great story line to unfold.

Of course having Peter Sallis and Maggie Ollerenshaw were a great couple as Norman's parents. Even though the sight gag of the painted fence gate probably got old to most. I still chuckled when it happened and thought out load 'You Should Have Known'. I own the DVD's and enjoy watching them as part of the Summer Wine universe.

Speaking of FOTSW, does anyone know why Deborah Norbury's hair suddenly went from blond in season 1, to black in season 2? Even with a different actress playing her, surely they'd want to make sure we can recognize her from season 1, especially since she doesn't speak much in season 2.

Interesting point you have there Sis. I will be watching FOTSW again soon and will most certainly have a closer look at that. :oops:

I do enjoy watching fosw and it's a shame there was not more, I think Alan Bell in his book thought it would take over from LOSW as they expected losw to finish after extra extra, the gaff with the trio not knowing Seymour was a major oversight with Roy Clarke as he wrote fosw after the introduction of Seymour in losw, Alan Bell told me if he had any dealing with fosw that would of been picked up as the chap that run the losw appreciation society used to get the scripts from Roy and check through for errors before filming started

I had not noticed that Sis. Will need to re-watch some FotSW again. Good catch on the hair color / actress change.

I do enjoy watching fosw and it's a shame there was not more, I think Alan Bell in his book thought it would take over from LOSW as they expected losw to finish after extra extra, the gaff with the trio not knowing Seymour was a major oversight with Roy Clarke as he wrote fosw after the introduction of Seymour in losw, Alan Bell told me if he had any dealing with fosw that would of been picked up as the chap that run the losw appreciation society used to get the scripts from Roy and check through for errors before filming started

Now that's very interesting.

So Roy Clarke effectively had a script editor to find any continuity errors from earlier episodes?

Continuity over 31 series of LOTSW is generally very good, considering there are about 295 episodes. It would be hard for Roy to remember everything on his own.

That would explain why the Seymour problem exists, as a different department produced FOTSW.

There have been continuity errors and duplicated plots that have gone unnoticed, examples include Wally Batty having a different name in the pilot, Compo's school friend's name changing from things like Cloggy, Clogger, Coggy (don't quote me here), and the hearse sequences in Barry's Christmas and another episode (it may be A Leg Up for Christmas, don't quote me here).

A good idea to have a fan to check all the detail, often the fan knows more than the writer when comes to trivial things.

I had not noticed that Sis. Will need to re-watch some FotSW again. Good catch on the hair color / actress change.
Despite all of the times I've viewed FoTSW, I hadn't noticed the hair color change, either. I'll try to remember to look for it the next time around.

Back