External Noise

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
When I used to watch the filming,there was the odd occasion when an external noise could not be stopped while filming, the worst one is a dog barking,I have never noticed it when the show was on TV,yet I watched a special last night and there it was,anyone want to guess what special it was and what scene the barking dog could be heard in

There Goes the Groom was on the other night, was it that one?
On a similar note, I found on some of the early episodes that someone in the audience had a very annoying laugh and the whistling at the end spoiled quite a few episodes for me.

There Goes the Groom was on the other night, was it that one?
On a similar note, I found on some of the early episodes that someone in the audience had a very annoying laugh and the whistling at the end spoiled quite a few episodes for me.

It was not that one Susan,sorry

In some of the really early ones, in the outdoors shots, the wind could be heard whistling through the trees.

When I used to watch the filming,there was the odd occasion when an external noise could not be stopped while filming, the worst one is a dog barking,

While not noise, I do remember an episode when a shot from
inside Cleggy's out thru the front door showed the neighbor's
Border Collie going by. As we knew and loved that dog, and as
he has long since died, we often watch just to see Archie again.

I think it was the episode,"Small Tune on a Penny Wassail" where someone had a very loud laugh.It really stood out from everyone else and was quite annoying.Later on the laugh disappears but i think the cast and crew didnt film an episode in its entirity but segments from this and that so,maybe the owner of the laugh just wasnt there when the last few scenes were being filmed.

Hector.

In the early days they filmed inside scenes before a studio audience, so one persons laugh could be heard more easily. Later on they filmed the whole episode and then showed it on a large screen in a studio. The first time we went to a 'preview' in 1999, Alan Bell made sure to tell us that even a sweet paper rustling could be picked up by the mikes which were suspended above our heads. I think that technology has improved even more since then and they can delete annoying laughter altogether. We went to a few previews. One time Mr Bell stopped the film and came out to ask us to laugh more loudly. He said that smiling was not good enough!!

I expect some of you are more able to explain this better than this old lady!

I was at the showing of the last series, Alan Bell also told us before to laugh loud enough and avoid any other noise that will be picked up by the microphones, he even asked the audience not to cough if possible because he doesn´t want the recording to sound "like taken in a chest clinic" or whatever he said. To be honest, I didn´t find that quite fair to the people. Nobody coughs deliberately, and what can you do about it?
It is strange, I remember laughing out loud in one particular scene more than others, but I never heard myself in the actual episode later, perhaps I wasn´t so loud after all or I was edited out.
Oh, and I liked that shrieking laugh in Penny Wassail, I always like when I can hear somebody enjoying it particularly, it´s catching.

Its the whistling that was particularly annoying, I'M glad it didn't happen in later episodes.

i quite like the occasional other noise. There's a moment in the "Divided we Stand" episode of Steptoe and Son (the one where Harold partitions the house) where you see Albert walking past and all you can see above the partition is his hat, and you can hear one of the audience members laughing and saying "his Hat!!". always makes me smile

One that drives me up the wall whenever I hear it, is that idiot's laughter in the audience, when the mechanic is singing his medley of songs as he tinkers with a motorbike on the episode where Clegg and his friends call in at a repair shop. I don't recall the title. It's an awful and cringe-making few moments.

One that drives me up the wall whenever I hear it, is that idiot's laughter in the audience, when the mechanic is singing his medley of songs as he tinkers with a motorbike on the episode where Clegg and his friends call in at a repair shop. I don't recall the title. It's an awful and cringe-making few moments.

are you on about the episode forked lightning with the bloke working on the bike the bloke from only fools and horses, i cant think of any other episode like tht but then again i cant say ive noticed any excessive laughing in tht episode

Back