Early Cleggy Homes?

cciaffone

Dedicated Member
I know I know, we've done this before, but
WHERE does the early Cleggy live? As in
Small Tune On A Penny Wassail where t'aint
any of the usual homes, kinda like the back yard
when Blamire had a camera. Where izzit???
Prolly the same as in The Funny Side of Christmas???

I always thought it was above the church in Holmfirth - as you looked out you were level with the church tower.

However the back yard could be at a different level; in extreme cases i know of houses with two floors one side and four the other. As an example Norah's is four floors from the side we see but only three from the main road (I have been inside one two doors up) but in her case it looks as if Compo's was an 'underdwelling'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebden_Bridge

From the above:

Hebden Bridge is a popular place to live. However space is limited due to the steep valleys and lack of flat land. In the past this led to "upstairs-downstairs" houses known as over and under dwellings. These were houses built in terraces with 4–5 storeys. The upper storeys face uphill while the lower ones face downhill with their back wall against the hillside. The bottom 2 storeys would be one house while the upper 2–3 storeys would be another. This also led to unusual legal arrangements such as the "flying freehold", where the shared floor/ceiling is wholly owned by the underdwelling.

Any steep valley community such as Holmfirth, Hebden Bridge and others shared this characteristic.

Thus I can see why it seems there might be a lack of continuity between sides of any house - assuming that they were not back-to-back.

I always thought it was above the church in Holmfirth

Sorry, but NO!! The interior of the early Clegg home is vastly
different from the one above the church (which only got used
when Howard and Pearl also lived there).

BTW - if you step out back of the Howard/Pearl/Clegg
first house, there is a stone wall about 4 feet from the
house then a sheer drop to the road below. On the
street side of that house, there is only about a foot
between the house and the road with no wall.

Cleggy had to have lived somewhere else in these early
episodes.

I always thought it was above the church in Holmfirth

Sorry, but NO!! The interior of the early Clegg home is vastly
different from the one above the church (which only got used
when Howard and Pearl also lived there).

BTW - if you step out back of the Howard/Pearl/Clegg
first house, there is a stone wall about 4 feet from the
house then a sheer drop to the road below. On the
street side of that house, there is only about a foot
between the house and the road with no wall.

Cleggy had to have lived somewhere else in these early
episodes.

It has to be one of the houses at the back of the corner house cafe,as they are the only houses that sit at that angle to the Picturedrome and there is a yard to the rear

It has to be one of the houses at the back of the corner house cafe,as they are the only houses that sit at that angle to the Picturedrome and there is a yard to the rear

Kinda confused here. Just what is "the corner house cafe"?

Where izzit?? Certainly not Sid's Cafe?? Would never call that
a "corner house". If anything, the steps next to Sid's Cafe
are at the corner.

In the few early episodes with Clegg's house, there are
no views out windows, so you could not see the
H'firth movie house from there either.

Kinda confused here. Just what is "the corner house cafe"?

Where izzit?? Certainly not Sid's Cafe?? Would never call that
a "corner house". If anything, the steps next to Sid's Cafe
are at the corner.

In the few early episodes with Clegg's house, there are
no views out windows, so you could not see the
H'firth movie house from there either.

Ok If you look at google maps in satellite mode opposite the bus station you will see the corner house cafe, if you watch Full Steam behind at the start, they zoom to what should be the back yard,just before they cut to internal studio set,you can see the picturedrome in the background,but the angle of the house as opposed to the picturedrome would mean the house is sideways on,the only houses like that and close enough sit behind the corner house cafe

In one of the Christmas shows, Compo had bought a hat as a Christmas present for Nora and it was mistaken for flowers and accidentally "watered" in the pub. So they had to go to Cleggy's house to dry it out. The interesting thing was that this was an early Clegg house with the front door on the right and an antique (dropleaf?) table next to the front door. That must be a real traditional place to put dropleaf tables because that where the dropleaf table was placed in my childhood home.

I had a flick through Small Tune On A Penny Wassail and it's almost definitaley the same house as in Series 1. I'll do some screen grabs later.

Back