Driving conditions

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
We came back up the M5 on Saturday and could not get over the number of cars "whipping " by us with no lights and well over the advised limit. Very cloudy with driving rain in places . Some people think it wont happen to them but unfortunately they cause it to happen to others.:fp:

Last edited:
You wonder Dick if these people have passed their test or have any respect for other road users or indeed their own lives considering I imagine the conditions were appalling . I had a near miss last week not far from home and the guy driving just either didn't think or had not passed his test . There is a dual carriageway that now forms the historic Scotswood Road [from the infamous Blaydon Races song] and at various points they have sets of traffic lights at the junctions . I was turning right across the main carriageway , oncoming traffic is going at 50 mph as is the traffic on my side of the carriageway .

The traffic lights have a right green filter light when the oncoming traffic comes to a halt . This guy thought it was fair game to turn right across the carriageway I was on before the filter light came on didn't have a clue what was coming and so he went straight into an oncoming Fiat 500 which concertina'd at the front end [ a young girl was driving it and was clearly deeply in shock ] and it ripped the passenger side wing off his car and broke the headlight etc . Luckily the impact didn't flip his backend into me . Thankfully the oncoming traffic stopped because he decided to continue across the second lane onward to the relative safety of the junction road rather than just sit tight until the Police arrived , never be as lucky again because if that had been a bigger car or truck coming at 50 mph he would have been seriously injured .

You wonder Dick if these people have passed their test or have any respect for other road users or indeed their own lives considering I imagine the conditions were appalling . I had a near miss last week not far from home and the guy driving just either didn't think or had not passed his test . There is a dual carriageway that now forms the historic Scotswood Road [from the infamous Blaydon Races song] and at various points they have sets of traffic lights at the junctions . I was turning right across the main carriageway , oncoming traffic is going at 50 mph as is the traffic on my side of the carriageway .

The traffic lights have a right green filter light when the oncoming traffic comes to a halt . This guy thought it was fair game to turn right across the carriageway I was on before the filter light came on didn't have a clue what was coming and so he went straight into an oncoming Fiat 500 which concertina'd at the front end [ a young girl was driving it and was clearly deeply in shock ] and it ripped the passenger side wing off his car and broke the headlight etc . Luckily the impact didn't flip his backend into me . Thankfully the oncoming traffic stopped because he decided to continue across the second lane onward to the relative safety of the junction road rather than just sit tight until the Police arrived , never be as lucky again because if that had been a bigger car or truck coming at 50 mph he would have been seriously injured .
What do you think should happen to irresponsible drivers like that Captain? Such crashes can kill. They need to be given a minimum 6 month jail sentence and banned from driving for life.

I agree . I saw a programme a while back where a guy who persistently tailgated people was taken to a track and driven around by a stunt driver who explained that if he continued and a car/van/truck breaked suddenly he would certainly crash into them and it would be like hitting a brick wall. Unbeknownst to him on the other side of the track a brick wall had been put in place but with a suitable gap being made of brick patterned paper which could not be distinguished as they approached .

The stunt guy increased the speed and headed for it . The tailgater as you can imagine was panic stricken begged the guy to stop and of course he didn't . When they went through the paper the tailgater was pretty much crying, swearing and screaming for mercy . It certainly did the trick . They followed him a while for a protracted period and he certainly had changed the way he drove .

Well, I drive defensively. I try to go out only during daylight hours but sometimes driving at night happens. I try to stay off the interstates and when I have to go on them, I try to stay with the flow of traffic and stay on the right which is traditionally the slow lane. The main thing is not to get rattled.

Many moons ago I was stuck in the evening rush and traffic was bumper to bumper. A lady in a red Cadillac was doing her best to bust her way through this traffic jam. Ten minutes and two blocks later, there she was --- on the shoulder explaining things to the police.

The thing I always find amusing is the new "smart" road system that are popping up everywhere.
If there is one thing I have learned over the years is that a "smart" road will always be trumped (CARD REFERENCE only) by a DUMB driver.

The thing I always find amusing is the new "smart" road system that are popping up everywhere.
If there is one thing I have learned over the years is that a "smart" road will always be trumped (CARD REFERENCE only) by a DUMB driver.

Yes Brian,we have many miles of them over here, once we all start getting low emission vehicles with currently no road tax, they will all turn into toll roads

Back