Downton Abbey

amos hames

Dedicated Member
Am i the only person wondering what all the fuss is about this series.I have never seen it granted it just seems to be everywhere. :)

Am i the only person wondering what all the fuss is about this series.I have never seen it granted it just seems to be everywhere. :)

It is a well polished period drama, ITV seem to be getting good at shows like this

Pompous costume dramas do little to encourage my enthusiasm, bring LOTSW back and get rid of this expensive to make tosh.

Its very simular to Upstairs Downstairs, very popular in the States by all accounts.

Killwillie wrote it, didn't he? The guy who played Killwillie in Monarch of the Glen? I didn't mind that show, but it got very twee after a few series.

Julian Fellows, the lovely Kilwillie, also wrote Gosforth Park which had a Summer Wine connection. Frank Thornton was the Butler in the first scene. (Just thought I would mention this!)

Aaarrggh! I love D.A !! Wonderful costumes, great characters, set in a lovely mansion, shame about John Bates being in prison just hours after spending the night with Anna. How they made the set to look like a proper mansion is just amazing. :) 8) :eek:

Pompous costume dramas do little to encourage my enthusiasm, bring LOTSW back and get rid of this expensive to make tosh.

I think I read somewhere that Summer Wine was one of the most expensive shows to make.
I am not however a great fan of Downton Abbey, but it is interesting in this third series to see the walls come tumbling down on 'the ruling classes'. My mother was in ' service' and told me a lot of tales about the way they carried on upstairs. In one place she only saw the lady of the house once a week. Mother would be brushing down the stairs when madam was winding the clock, she said that Madam would say 'good morning' and she would reply 'good morning madam' and that was the only contact they had. My grandmother, also in service was made to change her name from Alice to Martha, as one of the daughters was Alice.

Back