looking over the counter to the door to the kitchen, just to the
right is another door. Never saw it before, but the lads went
in and out thru it tonight.

Just re-watching Mending Stuart's Leg and noticed (for the
first time??) another door in the Cafe. Standing in the cafe,
looking over the counter to the door to the kitchen, just to the
right is another door. Never saw it before, but the lads went
in and out thru it tonight.

I do remember it from that episode, but you are right, it doesn't show up much otherwise. Though I think Compo comes through it in "The Flag and its Further Snags," which I watched last night.

Speaking of those doors, I always wondered if Sid and Ivy lived above the Cafe. That was certainly common in the past, for people to live above street level businesses they operated. And there are episodes in which it seems like that is the case, such as the Scarborough episode where Sid mentions Ivy has been telling him to lock the back door for hours and hours. Or in "The Man from Oswestry" when Compo shows up really early at the cafe.

As usual, bad continuity with the extra door. Think it remained (though different colours and styles) during Series 3-5. In Getting Sam Home, where they used the real cafe, you can see a door that would be opposite the main door.

In Getting Sam Home, it is implied Sid and Ivy live above the cafe, their bedroom being directly above the cafe itself. In the novel, nearly 10 years before, it appears they lived in a house.

In Small Tune in a Penny Wassail, we see where they live, but it's hard to tell if it's above the cafe or not.

In the Flag episode, the room where Sid and Ivy slept in Getting Sam Home is being used as function room.

In a Bicycle Made for Three, upstairs is being used for a function.

I have also noticed a door immediately to the right as you walk into the Cafe. I don't recall it ever being used in any episode.

I have also noticed a door immediately to the right as you walk into the Cafe. I don't recall it ever being used in any episode.

Yes, I'm not sure if that door really is in the real cafe, if you look at the google image on the discussion forum, a very large notice board, the size of a door, is there.

In the series, this door appeared from Series 6, following the camera angle change. As you say, this door has never been used. One reason it may be there on the studio set is purely to avoid a plain blank wall which doesn't look good on tv.

Yes, I'm not sure if that door really is in the real cafe, if you look at the google image on the discussion forum, a very large notice board, the size of a door, is there.

In the series, this door appeared from Series 6, following the camera angle change. As you say, this door has never been used. One reason it may be there on the studio set is purely to avoid a plain blank wall which doesn't look good on tv.

In reality the door on the right did go through to the staircase that went upstairs, used as a hairdressers at the moment and has separate access, I read somewhere that before it was a Cafe it had a paint store upstairs maybe when it was a cycle shop below

At some point wasn't a fish shop too?
I remember reading Jane Freemen saying she hated the smell of fish.

In the First of the Summer Wine series the café was seen as a fish & chip shop
called the Hygienic Fish Shop that the lads called the Epidemic Fish Shop.

chuck

Speaking of the Cafe, I noticed that in some of the early shows, the lighting seemed to be less than stellar and everyone seemed to be in a shadow. Really odd.

Low lighting not odd many places in the sixties seventies used very low wattage light bulbs as they saved a lot of money.

Back