Do Yorks people actually say 'Bog off'?

It was around in those times so it would get used. My son wondered at some funny looks he got when describing a" buy one get one free offer "as a bogoff when he started with the Kwiksave chain ;)

Well i'm from Lancashire originaly, i was 33 years old when i moved to North Wales.
The part of Lancs that i'm from, was not that far from the Yorkshire border.
I lived in Rossendale and it was quite common (sic) to hear people say "Bog off".
Only last week, i mentioned to one of my Welsh friends that i was thinking of selling my car, so i could buy a fresh one, he jokingly said that he would give me a low price for it, i replied to him, without even thinking about it "You can bog right off mate".
So i don't think the term is particular to Yorkshire, although besides Lancashire, i don't think i've heard it said anywhere else in the UK.

G ; )

Well i'm from Lancashire originaly, i was 33 years old when i moved to North Wales.
The part of Lancs that i'm from, was not that far from the Yorkshire border.
I lived in Rossendale and it was quite common (sic) to hear people say "Bog off".
Only last week, i mentioned to one of my Welsh friends that i was thinking of selling my car, so i could buy a fresh one, he jokingly said that he would give me a low price for it, i replied to him, without even thinking about it "You can bog right off mate".
So i don't think the term is particular to Yorkshire, although besides Lancashire, i don't think i've heard it said anywhere else in the UK.

G ; )
Its quite common here in Notts mate ;)

In the US it is common to say something like "Bug Off."

Wonder whether it's the same thing??

chuck

chuck

Could well be, U S English and U K English has some similar though not many. For 2 country s that are supposed to speak the same language we some times hardly understand each other ;D

chuck

Could well be, U S English and U K English has some similar though not many. For 2 country s that are supposed to speak the same language we some times hardly understand each other ;D

"Two nations separated by a common language". Oscar Wilde or George Bernard Shaw - never can rememebr which - probably the latter.

Back