Distance Travelled

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
In a normal episode I wonder what is the furthest distance the trio have travelled between locations, like when they start at compo's,next they are at Auntie's,then the cafe,then Cleggy's etc etc, in real life this could end up to be many miles often on foot,even more so when Seymour was about as he lived some way out of town,Terry

I've wondered that with another show that used to come on here in the states in the 80s called The Greatest American Hero (which I've also surprisingly found the filming locations for). They shot all over Los Angeles and Los Angeles county, which is a large area. Using GoogleEarth I decided to see what results it would give me. I have it set for miles, so I dunno what the kilometer conversion would be.

I used the episode "Three Men and a Mangle" and of course using roads that have automobile access. The whole trip from Clegg's and finally ending up back on top of Jackson Bridge took about 2 hours 12 minutes. Imagine that on foot.

From Clegg's after Seymour and Clegg deal with Howard in a wig they travel to the Cafe, which is below the hill.

0.4 miles - 2 minutes

They meet up with Compo and go to Nora's to pick up the mangle.

0.2 miles - 1 minute

Off they go with the mangle. They go through Honley past the church in the middle of town.

2.9 miles - 8 minutes

They finally arrive at the viaduct in Thornton.

17.3 miles - 44 minutes

After that they come across the Bay Horse (which is all the way back south and close to where Barry and Glenda live).

22.5 miles - 50 minutes

They hitch a ride with Eli and his friend and end off at the hilltop on Jackson Bridge............... and start rolling down it.

4.3 miles - 10 minutes

It's no wonder they got tired of Foggy's route marches. lol

"It's no wonder they got tired of Foggy's route marches."

You want distance, go figger the Full Steam Behind
route from Holmfirth to Oxenhope (and return??). And
then figger they got all the way out to Oakworth as well.

chuck

Even further would the very early boating trip - canoe actually - in Blamire days when they were on River Wharfe.

I thought about that one when browsing the map section. The canoe trip would be a VERY long trip. It's farther than when they went to meet Tom for the first time.

Well, since I found where the old ruins (at the time) for the disused mill was in "The Empire That Foggy Nearly Built" was at Crowthers Mill in Milnsbridge... No wonder Clegg was so bushed when he was leading the people in the car to it. He had to ride his bicycle all the way from the middle of Marsden to Milnsbridge! 5.5 miles and 12 minutes via automobile. lol

Back