Dandy to finish after 75 years

Pity,world's longest running comic I think,used to love it as a kid

Had to check which came first, Dandy or Beano, (same publisher), but it was Dandy:
"The Dandy is a long running children's comic published in the United Kingdom by D. C. Thomson & Co. Ltd. The first issue was printed in December 1937 and it is the world's third longest running comic, after Detective Comics (cover dated March 1937) and Il Giornalino (cover dated 1 October 1924)."

"The first issue, under the name The Dandy Comic, was published on 4 December 1937. The most notable difference, between this and other comics of the day, was its use of speech balloons instead of captions under the frame. It was published weekly until 6 September 1941, when wartime paper shortages forced it to switch to fortnightly, alternating with The Beano. It returned to its weekly schedule on 30 July 1949. From 17 July 1950, the magazine changed its name to just The Dandy."

Beano was just slightly later:
"The Beano is a British children's comic, published by D.C. Thomson & Co and is arguably their most successful.
The comic first appeared on 30 July 1938, and was published weekly."

I gather thought is that Dandy might go and Beano stay.

Used to get a Dandy Annual most years as a kid,Was never a big fan of the Beano.Comics I liked were Eagle,Whizzer and Chips.What was everyones favourite Dandy Strip.The Jocks and the Geordies is one i seem to remember and i think there was one called Korky the cat but i can not remember any more. :)

When I was young I use to buy the "Jack and Jill" comics with glossy pages. I always loved reading and I also bought the "Finding Out" for children and collected them and placed them in the binder they sold for them..

Used to get a Dandy Annual most years as a kid,Was never a big fan of the Beano.Comics I liked were Eagle,Whizzer and Chips.What was everyones favourite Dandy Strip.The Jocks and the Geordies is one i seem to remember and i think there was one called Korky the cat but i can not remember any more. :)
Jocks And The Geordies was good,didnt realise Geordies were from the northeast as a kid. I also rated Winker Watson

From the very beginning there was Corky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Have difficulty recalling which was in Beano and which in Dandy. Fairly certain Dennis the Menace and Lord Snooty were in Beano. If I recall rightly, I got Beano each week and my sister got Dandy.

I do recall one school I attended where only "Eagle" was allowed. Later though I graduated to text as opposed to picture/cartoon style comics, "The Rover" in particular with Braddock VC, Alf Tupper and Roy of the Rovers. A lot was published by DC Thompson of Dundee. Of course, north of the border their most famous "comics" - cartoons in The Sunday Post, are "The Broons" and "Oor Wullie". Many is the adult who gets an annual for his Christmas.

Back