Crafty Amazon

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
I ordered a Yubico 2FA NFC key from Amazon, priced at £31, ordered 2 days ago and was due today, it was marked as dispatched with 1 other item, we opened the packet on arrival, no key just the other item, so contacted Amazon who immediately said they would credit me the item as they could not send another, when I checked online the price of these keys had gone up, the cheapest £71 with some sellers asking over £100, so it looks like it was never sent in the first place.

Possibly too late for some people, but I would avoid buying products via Amazon (Amazon is not the seller but agent) where the brand name is a seemingly nonsense jumble of letters; like "Yubico", "Atumtek", or "Vijim", as these might not be "real" brands. Amazon have a scheme to promote brands and give them preferential placement in search results. So lots of sellers invent brand names, have cheap products printed with their name - or just advertise stock they don't even have.

In UK consumer law if you buy something at a given price the seller is legally obligated to honour that price even if it is incorrectly priced. I once got a stay at a central London 4 star hotel for £9 for this very reason!!!! (when I checked in the receptionist said I 'got lucky' with the price and did I want to add breakfast for £15, I told her certainly not as it was more than the cost of the room!) :D

Not sure how that sits with Amazon being an agent rather than seller, but certainly worth you pressing the issue with them!

In UK consumer law if you buy something at a given price the seller is legally obligated to honour that price even if it is incorrectly priced. I once got a stay at a central London 4 star hotel for £9 for this very reason!!!! (when I checked in the receptionist said I 'got lucky' with the price and did I want to add breakfast for £15, I told her certainly not as it was more than the cost of the room!) :D

Not sure how that sits with Amazon being an agent rather than seller, but certainly worth you pressing the issue with them!
My mates dad got a top of the line Sony Music Centre in the 80s for £30. The price in the window said £30 but he knew it was worth £600. They had no choice but to sell it hahaha
It was a big company so he didn't feel bad. He said to me he wouldn't have done it if it was a small local shop.
I believe he still has it. I remember playing the Motorhead Bomber vinyl on it and it was absolutely amazing.

Possibly too late for some people, but I would avoid buying products via Amazon (Amazon is not the seller but agent) where the brand name is a seemingly nonsense jumble of letters; like "Yubico", "Atumtek", or "Vijim", as these might not be "real" brands. Amazon have a scheme to promote brands and give them preferential placement in search results. So lots of sellers invent brand names, have cheap products printed with their name - or just advertise stock they don't even have.
Yubico is a well known brand for these security keys and been about for some years, I think because the demand has risen due to 2 factor authentication being spoofed these keys add that extra layer of security, so therefore the price they can get for them has shot up

I ordered some distilled water from Amazon and the bottles were actually scheduled to be delivered on Good Friday, HOWEVER I found the box on my stoop on Monday; so wonderful to have it delivered so early!

Back