Cowboys

C

Chuffer Enwright

I 'discovered' this ITV sitcom recently, from the early 80's and it ran for 2 series. I have the first on DVD and have watched it a couple of times and for an ITV comedy of its time, it was good. It starred Roy Kinnear, Colin Welland and David Kelly (O'Riley the Builder from Fawlty Towers and Albert Riddle from Robin's Nest).
It's likely that Dick, Terry and George will remember it from when it was first broadcast.
As the title suggests, it's about a gang of dodgy bulders employed by an even dodgier boss (Roy Kinnear as Joe Jones), it is worth a watch. I've never seen it repeated on TV, but if you ever see the DVD cheap on eBay, Amazon etc, say for a few quid, then it is good entertainment. The David Kelly character is called Wobbly Ron and is just the same as O'Riley, a useless, work shy Irishman who likes a drink and doesn't like working much.

It is really funny and i have both series. Nothing beats old comedies.

There is another one sort of similar which you might keep your eyes on. It is in black and while called The Worker.....

It is really funny and i have both series. Nothing beats old comedies.

There is another one sort of similar which you might keep your eyes on. It is in black and while called The Worker.....

Cheers,. I will look out for that.

I don't want to get you all excited about these old comedies. But I repeat they are the best. I also have:

The Gaffer

Oh No it's Selwyn Froggit

Yes My Dear

The Larkins

I don't want to get you all excited about these old comedies. But I repeat they are the best. I also have:

The Gaffer

Oh No it's Selwyn Froggit

Yes My Dear

The Larkins

Yeah, Ive got the first two, they are very good. I remember them from my childhood.

I have Cowboys along with all the Selwyn collection,the gaffer is very clever, Hallelujah! with Thora Hird is Good along with For the Love of Ada,in fact there is many many good comedies starting from the 50's and started to run out in the 90's,sadly they do not have the talent or skills these days to make stuff like that

Lots of good ITV comedies mentioned there, usually only the BBC ones get a look in.

I think Cowboys ran to three series.

George and Mildred is one of my favourite ever sitcoms.
I hope you are right mate and there were 3 series of Cowboys and the last series comes out on DVD soon.

have any of you seen/remember a 70's ITV sitcom called Thick as Thieves with Bob Hoskins and John Thaw?
I notice it has been released on DVD now, O've never seen it, was it any good?

I hope you are right mate and there were 3 series of Cowboys and the last series comes out on DVD soon.

Unfortunately there were only two series of Cowboys.

My sources said there were three series - but in fact it lists series two having five episodes and series three having two episodes. In actual fact there was a delay of a year in the transmission of the final two episodes of the second (and last) series.

Damn. I like this programme too.

My sources said there were three series - but in fact it lists series two having five episodes and series three having two episodes. In actual fact there was a delay of a year in the transmission of the final two episodes of the second (and last) series.

Good info. Thanks.

Here are ome older comedies that I have and can't live without See if yo can recognize any of them.

Love Thy Neighbour

Two in Clover = Sid James

Billy Liar

I didn't know you cared

The Growing Pains of PC Pemrose

Nearest and Dearest

Then Churchill said to me

Don't drink the water

Curry and Chips

Sorry

Oh Father

Rising Damp

Hi de Hi

Home James
--------------------------------------------

Well that is a start. Got them all from The Box

Here are ome older comedies that I have and can't live without See if yo can recognize any of them.

Love Thy Neighbour

Two in Clover = Sid James

Billy Liar

I didn't know you cared

The Growing Pains of PC Pemrose

Nearest and Dearest

Then Churchill said to me

Don't drink the water

Curry and Chips

Sorry

Oh Father

Rising Damp

Hi de Hi

Home James
--------------------------------------------

Well that is a start. Got them all from The Box

Good list. I wonder why they have never put Rosie out? PC Penrose was no as good With out Wilmot and his unfortunate undies.

Let me mention a few more that I have:

Desmonds

The many wives of patrick

How's your father

Doctor in the house

Tony Hancock

Terry and Julian

Up the elephant and round the castle

Ain't Misbehavin

Bread

Steptoe and Son

Eric Sykes

That's my Boy

Father dear father

All gas and gaiters

George and the dragon

The rag trade

Hark at barker

Terry and June

It ain't half hot mum

Clarence = Ronnie Barker

Magnificent Evans = Ronnie barker

Going straight =[ Ronnie barker

Early Doors

nightingales

Not on your nellie

Father ted

After being woken up at 3 this morning by a group of moronic youths singing football songs at the top of their lungs all the way down our road, I lay awake for a bit just pondering things in general and then remembered that back in 81 time, there was a strike at Independent Television which left Granada/Thames/LWT/ATV etc off air for a very long time, almost a year in fact. This could well be the reason for the delay in the transmission of the final two episodes.
We were a 2 channel nation for a fair while, well One and a half actually as BBC2 only transmitted for half a day then.
I remember it as a kid and I remember being out and about shopping on the day that the programmes started again on ITV. We were in an electrical/TV shop and the screens were on and some were tuned to ITV and there was a message on screen saying that broadcasts would be again that evening.

Back