Could Compo Write

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
In the earlier series when Compo had to sign for mail he did it with a cross, which I assume hinted he could not write, he could read as he was always checking the racing,later on he had his passport with his signature on so he must of signed that and he wrote the letter to Tom after his death, your views please

I like to think he he could read and write very well, but he liked others to think he was not has smart has we was, that way they would leave him alone and not bother him with thinks like making him find work and things, things that would get in the way of his racing, ferrets, chasing Nora Batty and her at the farm!!

I think he he was a very savvy man but like the easy life and the quiet life. ;)

I like to think he he could read and write very well, but he liked others to think he was not has smart has we was, that way they would leave him alone and not bother him with thinks like making him find work and things, things that would get in the way of his racing, ferrets, chasing Nora Batty and her at the farm!!

I think he he was a very savvy man but like the easy life and the quiet life. ;)

This is my view also. I think it fits the character of Compo to be sneaky and smart in his attempts at avoiding responsibility as he does with such flair :)

He also scribbled this little note on the piece of paper in Flower Power Cut which we see at the end of the episode. So he could write, but I suppose he just couldn´t be bothered to sign properly. Perhaps he was too idle to write Simmonite and just put a cross there.

I think Susan's suggestion has a lot of merit ...

however we do know there are several occasions when the continuity is faulty: often happens in long running series and possibly being able write, not write varied according to the needs of the script. I do wonder if Roy Clarke was overly concerned about these inconsistencies from one episode to another.

Continuity in LOTSW was relatively very good, compared to some sitcoms - Hancock and Steptoe probably having the worst continuity ever.

Throughout the series it was very apparent Compo could read and write - the Uncle of the Bride gag being a notable exception.

The scene in Uncle of the Bride was important, as it helped explain Foggy's departure. Compo signing for the parcel was of course a very funny way to finish the scene.

When Seymour makes his departure in Return of the Warrior, he firstly instructs Compo to write, then says to print instead - so we know he writing skills are limited.

But I'm sure Compo could (read and) write.

Like Amos says, Compo left a letter for Clegg. With only one g.
That was one of the most beautiful scenes in the whole series for me. Mr Sallis hit the notes of Cleggs grief perfectly.

Continuity in LOTSW was relatively very good, compared to some sitcoms - Hancock and Steptoe probably having the worst continuity ever.

Throughout the series it was very apparent Compo could read and write - the Uncle of the Bride gag being a notable exception.

The scene in Uncle of the Bride was important, as it helped explain Foggy's departure. Compo signing for the parcel was of course a very funny way to finish the scene.

When Seymour makes his departure in Return of the Warrior, he firstly instructs Compo to write, then says to print instead - so we know he writing skills are limited.

But I'm sure Compo could (read and) write.

i think this sums it up perfectly wstol

Back