Confusing

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
Here are three photos of a village in the Peak District in Derbyshire. The first is of the Post Office which clearly states that it is the Youlgrave Post Office. In front of that is the village reservoir which does say that it is the Youlgreave Friendly Society of Women etc. Just across the road from those two contradicting signs is the Bulls Head pub which clearly states that it is in Youlgreave. I wonder, do you think that the signwriter popped in there for a couple of pints before he did the post office sign?

Attachments

• Youlgrave P.O. 06.jpg
    Youlgrave P.O. 06.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Youlgreave resevoir  06.jpg
    Youlgreave resevoir 06.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 10
  • Youlgreave Bulls Head  07.jpg
    Youlgreave Bulls Head 07.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 10
I know the village quite well. The post office is no longer there but further along Church Street. The village tea room and the garage is also spelt Youlgrave. Confusing indeed....

Attachments

• shop.jpg
    shop.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Youlgrave-Garage.jpg
    Youlgrave-Garage.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 7
I know the village quite well. The post office is no longer there but further along Church Street. The village tea room and the garage is also spelt Youlgrave. Confusing indeed....
I can't get out and about these days and it is quite a few years since we last went there. Interesting photos Roger. Thanks for adding them.

We spend a lot of time in our campervan around there as it's only a short trip away and easy to get to after work on a Friday. Youlgreave is it's name but it's pronounced Youlgrave by all the locals. We have a few villages near us pronounced Peeva but they're spelt Peover, Peover Superior, Lower Peover, Higher Peover. I've lost count of the times i've been asked " oi mate, which way to Pee Over"!

Back