Computer change

amos hames

Dedicated Member
I am thinking of getting a new computer over the Christmas period after all the problems with my one recently.What i want to know is if i get a new one would my fourm account switch straight over or would i have to re-register with a different user name.Thanks :)

I am thinking of getting a new computer over the Christmas period after all the problems with my one recently.What i want to know is if i get a new one would my fourm account switch straight over or would i have to re-register with a different user name.Thanks :)

It will not be a problem,as you just need to log in as usual on your new computer,Terry

What are you getting Terry? I just bought an 'all in one' desktop. I am loving it.

I have an Acer laptop and had it for almost 5 years and no trouble so far with it. And believe me I use it a lot for mostly downloading..

Here in the states, I have "won" many of our PCs in
a charity (Shop Goodwill) auction site. They are all
older DELLs that have their own FREE! version of XP PRO
which I really love. We have about 5 desktops in various
rooms, and one laptop just for traveling.

Same here, my trusty little laptop is begining fail so I'm getting one for my birthday but I have no idea what to get?!

Well Dell is good but as I have an Acer and had it for a few years I do recomend it. How long have you had your laptop?? I am surprised that mine is still running ok.

Well Dell is good

I find that most hardware runs pretty much the same.

It's the software that makes a difference.

I have whole bundles of FREE DELL software, from XP PRO SP3,
to OFFICE, to loads and loads of useful applications that cost
nothing and do bunches. I can't imaging "moving up" as I would
most likely lose all that software.

Same here, my trusty little laptop is begining fail so I'm getting one for my birthday but I have no idea what to get?!

ASDA: Acer Aspire E1 Laptop - 15.6ins - Intel Pentium - 500GB HDD, £315.
Looks a reasonable deal.

I've had mine for about 3 years, that ASDA one sounds good. I was going to hang on untill the sales see if I can get a deal, its my birthday just after xmas so my husband has said he'll buy me a new one for that.

Does anyone remember about three years ago when there was that recession? Computer World where almost giving them away. We were in Lonodn on New Year holiday and a friendof ours bought three of them. 17 inch screen at £50 each. Couldn't get a better deal then that................

Well Dell is good

I find that most hardware runs pretty much the same.

It's the software that makes a difference.

I have whole bundles of FREE DELL software, from XP PRO SP3,
to OFFICE, to loads and loads of useful applications that cost
nothing and do bunches. I can't imaging "moving up" as I would
most likely lose all that software.

One thing to be aware of is that official Microsoft support for XP will cease in about two years time: I am told that then machines running XP will be more likely to suffer from hacking attempts as there will no longer be any upgrades to combat these. Although possibly there might be some freeware which may be maintained to assist.

If we do migrate then we will loose that software, but increasingly, I am finding that I have trouble reading files sent to me because my old XP et al can not read the newer documents such as .DOCX; although you can download a free reader for this, it will become increasingly more common. Another annoying feature is that I have to redo this every time I reconfigure my machine, which is about once a year, as it jams up and the only way out seems to be start all over again.

If we do migrate then we will loose that software, but increasingly, I am finding that I have trouble reading files sent to me because my old XP et al can not read the newer documents such as .DOCX; although you can download a free reader for this, it will become increasingly more common. Another annoying feature is that I have to redo this every time I reconfigure my machine, which is about once a year, as it jams up and the only way out seems to be start all over again.

A bit puzzled by this, particularly reference to .DOCX files in relative to Windows XP. My reading is that for .DOCX (and the other Office Powerpoint, Excel etc. equivalent files) you need Office 2010 and that is compatible with Windows XP.

Hmmm ... I thought MS support for XP ended with SP3.

What am I missing??

Also, I know I was able to open a DOCX file with WORD.
Just don't remember how or why I did.

A bit puzzled by this, particularly reference to .DOCX files in relative to Windows XP. My reading is that for .DOCX (and the other Office Powerpoint, Excel etc. equivalent files) you need Office 2010 and that is compatible with Windows XP.

Well I have XP and unless I download these additional programmes I could not open a .DOCX file or other spreadsheet files created by later programmes. Not over difficult but a pain to have to do when you reconfigure. My PC is ancient and still has a floppy disk drive!

Hmmm ... I thought MS support for XP ended with SP3.

What am I missing??

Also, I know I was able to open a DOCX file with WORD.
Just don't remember how or why I did.

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173

tells you that XP official support ceases on 8 April 2014 (500 days)

-as stated above probably can keep it going with unofficial support.

I had a medion laptop bought from Aldi with a 3 year warranty, just before the 3 years was up it broke, so it was sent off to Germany for repair, they don't do repairs in the UK for some reason. Anyway it came back about a week later and broke again the next day, so off it went again for repair, 2 weeks later i got it back only to turn it on and pop it went again. I phone medion to complain and i didn't fancy sending it for repair again. They apologized and sent me a brand new laptop with better speck than my 3 year old one ;D Trouble is this one's only got 12 months warranty on it and it is a medion after all ;D

Back