Compo's Bread

J

John

Anyone know where the BBC got his bread as it is enormous? (Earlier series, with Blamire)

Oh, like full loaves you can buy from bakeries etc., they then cut large slices and put a chunk of cheese in the middle, then he is seen chomping at it like he does his meat pies ;D

Thanks, George. :)

I buy proper bread every Thursday at a local market ,its artisan baked and they make a very wide range of breads and cakes .I have to stop myself buying nice things like ,strawbery tarts and other lovely products.The cheese I buy from a deli in the same village as the market and is a rare place in our locality,a food shop that sells real food from small suppiers.If you get the chance try some Keens Organic Cheddar its marvelous in proper bread ,blimey I feel hungry writing this!!!!!!!!

I think that you can order the bread any size or shape you want once they are done with doing the normal ones. I had it done once for an occasion.

I buy proper bread every Thursday at a local market ,its artisan baked and they make a very wide range of breads and cakes .I have to stop myself buying nice things like ,strawbery tarts and other lovely products.The cheese I buy from a deli in the same village as the market and is a rare place in our locality,a food shop that sells real food from small suppiers.If you get the chance try some Keens Organic Cheddar its marvelous in proper bread ,blimey I feel hungry writing this!!!!!!!!

I must so much concur. Locally made bread can be superb and maybe it is particularly the case with cheese. Also beer, real ales brewed in the local micro-brewery!

What's really nice about our visits from the US to Yorkshire, is that
in Yorkshire we can get real breads from real bakeries, real
cheeses from real cheeseries, and real from real breweries, and
real eggs from back-porch eggeries. None of which we can get
here at home!

We are jealous!!!

here at home!

We are jealous!!!

May be a bit unkind. You do have micro-breweries (though they may be a bit remote from you). I do recall getting Pete's Wicked Ale in the Crystal City Embassy Suites just outside DC and just after Pete's was launched. And I always remember visiting a winery near Anaheim, way south of the recognised California wine growing territory, where they also sold there own sourdough bread which was great. I do also recall visiting a winery in Pennsylvania, north west corner, not far from Punxsutawney.

here at home!

We are jealous!!!

One commodity I never came across in US is really good cheese.

You do have micro-breweries

Yes, but it's all gassy and LichtBrau! We have absolutely
nothing like Ram Tam, Old Peculiar, or Riggwelter (my
own personal fave!) over here. Not even a Landlord.

I often brew my own dark ales, but have never had a
hand pump. Instead I prime the bottles with sugar before
capping. Not great but it does work.

You do have micro-breweries

Yes, but it's all gassy and LichtBrau! We have absolutely
nothing like Ram Tam, Old Peculiar, or Riggwelter (my
own personal fave!) over here. Not even a Landlord.

I often brew my own dark ales, but have never had a
hand pump. Instead I prime the bottles with sugar before
capping. Not great but it does work.

I know what you mean about dark beers. I am very partial to Dark Island from Orkney or Arran Dark, both, of course island brews. But I also enjoy The Red MacGregor, also from Orkney. And I seem to recall Pete's Wicked Red was quite a tasty brew. And are there no acceptable Sam Adams beers?

here at home!

We are jealous!!!

I find that this depends on where one is in the US. I grew up in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, which has some the the country's best farmland. There are a number of exceptional farmers markets in the area. Many of the vendors are authentic bakeries (Ric's Bread, etc.) and others offer organic produce right off the local farms (including real eggs, etc. Now living in the Washington DC area, this is the part of my hometown that I miss the most.

However, when we visit my step-mom in northern Baltimore city, she takes us to Atwater's baker and we buy wonderful authentic breads. I can't compare it to that of the British bakeries, but to me it is awesome.

As for cheese, I do see your point. One exception was when I was driving all around Winsconsin, the cheese state.

I like beer, but it is not my expertise, so i will just have to take your word on that.

I find that this depends on where one is in the US. I grew up in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, which has some the the country's best farmland. There are a number of exceptional farmers markets in the area. Many of the vendors are authentic bakeries (Ric's Bread, etc.) and others offer organic produce right off the local farms (including real eggs, etc. Now living in the Washington DC area, this is the part of my hometown that I miss the most.

This reminds me of Levi Zendt in Michener's Centennial. Born and raised a Mennonite in Lancaster County, Michener goes into a fair amount of detail as to how well his farming family fed themselves from their produce.

This reminds me of Levi Zendt in Michener's Centennial. Born and raised a Mennonite in Lancaster County, Michener goes into a fair amount of detail as to how well his farming family fed themselves from their produce.

Yes, growing up in Lancaster County, we benefitted from abundant, affordable, produce from the Amish and Mennonite Communities. (Sorry if I am getting too provincial with this topic). There are actually Amish vendors that travel to the DC area to do business. Their produce is in high demand, but the hours and locations aren't convenient with us. They leave their homes at 4AM to arrive at their stands at 6 AM!

However, there are a few descent markets in certain spots featuring good produce from Central and Eastern Maryland farmers as well. I find quality bread available in a lot of places.

Back