Bring back Compo!!

George

Super Moderator
Finally went back to Holmfirth yesterday and was disappointed to find the figure of Compo was missing from outside Sid's Cafe.I was told that he was looking a little worse for wear (Compo??) but I was given no indication that it was going to be replaced or repaired.
It just wasn't the same without the little fella there.

Finally went back to Holmfirth yesterday and was disappointed to find the figure of Compo was missing from outside Sid's Cafe.I was told that he was looking a little worse for wear (Compo??) but I was given no indication that it was going to be replaced or repaired.

Like the new picture George and I spotted on facebook you had been back to Holmfirth you lucky devil, this is bad news about the Compo figure, it was part of visiting the cafe for fans from all over,George how about posting something online in the Huddersfield examiner who seem to take an interest in Summer Wine, if they print it the Cafe owners might feel they need to get him restored,Holmfirth sometimes forgets that if it was not for the wino's visiting in their 1000's the town would loose a lot of income, there has been many changes in the town in the last few years,some not for the better,like some evening the place is full of folk gathered outside the many pubs and Bistro's, it is very noisy as most are alcohol fueled and the litter left behind is terrible

Like the new picture George and I spotted on facebook you had been back to Holmfirth you lucky devil, this is bad news about the Compo figure, it was part of visiting the cafe for fans from all over,George how about posting something online in the Huddersfield examiner who seem to take an interest in Summer Wine, if they print it the Cafe owners might feel they need to get him restored,Holmfirth sometimes forgets that if it was not for the wino's visiting in their 1000's the town would loose a lot of income, there has been many changes in the town in the last few years,some not for the better,like some evening the place is full of folk gathered outside the many pubs and Bistro's, it is very noisy as most are alcohol fueled and the litter left behind is terrible
Great idea Terry,I'll get right on it.
I was also disappointed that we couldn't get near Nora's cottage because a gate was locked.

Great idea Terry,I'll get right on it.
I was also disappointed that we couldn't get near Nora's cottage because a gate was locked.

Wonder why the gate was locked,maybe they do not want folk sitting on the steps now it is a holiday home,something else the fans will miss,though some will find you can creep around the back

I sent the Examiner an email,let's see what happens.
Thanks for the tip about sneaking round the back of Nora's,that's handy to know.

I have read somewhere that Holmfirth is trying to shake off its SW image and become a trendy drinking and eating place. Any one else heard that?

Certainly a lot of the economy has been sustained by Summer Wine and the tourists who must contribute a great deal to the towns shopkeepers tills.

This is a very sad situation and i'm afraid that it happens all the time, progress i think they call it!!

Some 20-odd years ago, before i moved to Anglesey in North Wales, i used to enjoy visiting places like Howarth, Settle and Ingleton, both with the wife and kids but also with mates on our Motorcycles, the bike trips had been going on since the early 70's.

Occasionally, when i visit "up north", once or twice a year, myself and some of the old mates that still ride bikes, will have a ride up to Settle or Howarth and certainly over the last five years at least, i've seen changes that have saddened my old (nostalgic?) heart.

Of course things have to change over time, it is unfortunately the way of things but it's the way these changes are implimented that sadden me.
The old pubs we used to visit back then, have either been converted into flats or the new trend of theme pubs, or worse still, demolished.

At least we have our memories and the Summer Wine DVD's to remind us of how things were some 40 years ago.
"Hail smiling morn" has a strange affect on me, i'm not sure what it is really, maybe it's because as a biker, we used to be in similar situations camping in the above mentioned places like Settle, Ingleton and parts of the lake district.

Those of you who are on Facebook, can befriend me if you wish, search for George Kempson - my avatar is the same one as i use on here.

G ; )

Back