Book Competition Answers and Winner

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
These were the answers Alan Bell sent me,none of the entries got Question 2 completely correct, I would of struggled with that one, but we have a winner,which was picked at random by Alan Bell and is was wstol,so well done to him

1 Lois Laurel (Stan Laurel’s daughter in ’Bicycle Bonanza’)

2 Elijah Duckett

3 Brass Band Conductor

4 Ashley Jackson

5 Painter and Decorator

6 It was where Thora got her first film contract

7 Ripping Yarns Ken Kitson played a depressed barman, and Danny was an ageing footballer.

8 The Man Who Nearly Knew Pavarotti playing William Ingleton.

9 June Whitfield – Nellie (played Delphine in Potts in Pole Position). and Barbara Young – Stella (played Bobby Ball’s wife in Get Out of That).

10 John Cleese

Thanks all.

For the question about two different actresses playing two different characters I put Barbara Young and Maggie Ollernshaw, never thought of June Whitfield.

I would also like to thank Terry for very kindly giving away this book and arranging this challenging competition.

Well done that Man. I do have the book and would have done better if I had got it before I did the quiz. But at least I tried.

Thanks all.

For the question about two different actresses playing two different characters I put Barbara Young and Maggie Ollernshaw, never thought of June Whitfield.

I would also like to thank Terry for very kindly giving away this book and arranging this challenging competition.

Well done that man.
Intriguing. I put June Whitfield and Maggie Ollerenshaw. I wonder why Allan Bell did not think of Maggie. Maybe he forgot in that he did not direct her first episode, "The Flag and Further Snags". Or maybe he considered her part there little more than an extra. Or even, conceptually she could have been Ethel in that part. Once I had thought of those two I did not think to research any further. In many ways the casting of Barbara Young was most unusual in that she came back in a different part so quickly. June Whitfield had four years before she returned as Nelly. I am not sure it really registered with me that Barbara Young was in a different part. When she first showed up as Stella I thought that was same woman from the earlier episode - and we were in the Hobbo era when I admit I was far from impressed with things.

The thing is Big Unc is that there was in fact more than 3 actresses playing 2 parts ;)

The thing is Big Unc is that there was in fact more than 3 actresses playing 2 parts ;)

I had June Whitfield and Paula Tilbrooke.

I do see what you mean. I thought I had better go back and check original question:
"9. What two actresses played two different characters in the series?"
It transpires it was not very well framed, was it? No matter, from what I understood the selection was made by drawing lots anyway because none of us got everything quite right.

I got 1,2,3,5 and 8 right but just couldn't find the answers the the rest.

Well done the winner

I had June Whitfield and Paula Tilbrooke.

I do see what you mean. I thought I had better go back and check original question:
"9. What two actresses played two different characters in the series?"
It transpires it was not very well framed, was it? No matter, from what I understood the selection was made by drawing lots anyway because none of us got everything quite right.

That is very comforting to read, Unc.

Back