Blandings

Big Unc

Dedicated Member
Have we had any discussion on this new BBC programme?

Regret to say that much as I have always enjoyed the writing of P G Wodehouse and the acting (usually) of Timothy Spall I am not impressed. Indeed, consider Timothy Spall interpretation of Lord Emsworth very far from the P G Wodehouse character - far too assertive. And I don't recall seeing the buffoon who plays Freddie before but I am far from convinced I want to see him again.

This is certainly not a patch on various Jeeves and Wooster shows we have had in the past.

I loved the 'Heavy Weather' from years ago, with Peter O'Toole, Roy Hudd, Judy Parfit and Richard Briers. He really was the Lord Emsworth I'd always envisaged. I think it was Sam West as Monty Bodkin. I'd love to get a copy, but I can't find it on any sites.
I watched about 10-15 minutes of the new series and switched over. It's almost a parody of the Blandings stories.

Have watched this show a bit more and it has grown on me to a certain extent - watching whilst quaffing a bottle of good red wine helps. I suppose as long as one accepts it is NOT P G Wodehouse it can be considerd acceptable. Of course, Timothy Spall is a superb actor. Did we ever consider him for a LOTSW role?

One Wodehouse character that surely should have been in Blandings must be Lord Emsworth's younger brother, The Honorable Sir Galahad Threepwood, Gally. It is not Blandings without his conniving to put things right usually aided by Beech, the butler.

Gally Threepwood was always one of my favourite characters. It's not complete without him, is it?

Back