Big Changes to British Programming on American Public Television

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
I am not a fan of Are You Being Served, but I am rather shocked to see it go off the air here in PBS. It has being airing here for decades! Also, Allo! Allo! is going off the air, which runs on Fridays only. I am not big on that show either. Here is the news alert I received via e-mail:

Afternoon Tea welcomes Mr. Bean back to the schedule next month, appearing Fridays at 1pm, beginning September 6. Also, a new Britcom for MPT audiences debuts, After You've Gone, airing weekdays at 3pm, beginning September 23. On a sad note we say goodbye to long time Afternoon Tea programs Are You Being Served? and 'Allo, 'Allo. Unfortunately the BBC was unable to secure additional rights to sell these series to PBS, and - along with other stations around the country - MPT is no longer able to air them. We hope that the BBC will be able to come to terms with the programs' agents and that one day they will be back on the air.

After You've Gone is not too bad, its worth a watch, the kids love Mr Bean but I don't find it that funny but then again it could be described has slap stick which I'm not a fan of.

Are You Being Served still on in Des Moines in September.
Joe

In Maryland, it is scheduled to end in mid-September. It sounds like this will happen in other stations as well. If you are a fan of it, hopefully it will stay on in Iowa.

After You've Gone is not too bad, its worth a watch, the kids love Mr Bean but I don't find it that funny but then again it could be described has slap stick which I'm not a fan of.

Mr. Bean has been on before. I enjoy it, but not to the extent of Summer Wine and other shows.

I have 2 Cleveland Area PBS stations and sadly they have stopped showing LOTSW and have really pared down their Britcom offerings. I will say though that I am happy they are showing Scott and Bailey and were showing DCI Banks. When I was in college in the early 90's we had a PBS channel that showed Eastenders.....good times. Currently they are showing Grace and Favour so I do like that.

I, too, do not find Mr. Bean to be funny.

I have 2 Cleveland Area PBS stations and sadly they have stopped showing LOTSW and have really pared down their Britcom offerings. I will say though that I am happy they are showing Scott and Bailey and were showing DCI Banks. When I was in college in the early 90's we had a PBS channel that showed Eastenders.....good times. Currently they are showing Grace and Favour so I do like that.
I enjoy DCI Banks quite a bit. It's being shown on KCET, a non PBS independent station here in Los Angeles. KCET also airs Doc Martin but that is about it at the moment when it comes to lighthearted programming. On the two local PBS stations, It seems that the Brit Sitcoms have disappeared for the most part.

I love Scott and Bailey its so good to see a program that has an all female star lead. DCI Banks is great too, you should look out for Vera which is fantastic and if you like Scott and Bailey you'll really like Vera.

I love Scott and Bailey its so good to see a program that has an all female star lead. DCI Banks is great too, you should look out for Vera which is fantastic and if you like Scott and Bailey you'll really like Vera.
[/quote]

I will definitely look for it! Thanks for the tip Susan! ;D

Back