Bicycles

Does a submabicycle count.
A view from said bicycle & heavily reinforced bottom.

Attachments

• 20230831_135629.jpg
    20230831_135629.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 7
My earlier rant was focused on women from the show who rode bike. Submabicycle was really special because it combined both the bicycle element, but also one of the best pieces of Wesley's creative claptrap in the entire show. I don't know who had the creative gift to engineer all of the wonderful claptrap that appeared in the show. I remember all of the claptrap at Seymour's place, most of which actually worked or was made to appear to work. I reveled in the bicycle/post hole auger. The Self Propelled Salad Strainer won my heart with the Tubelox scaffolding superstructure.

Burncoat Senior High School Was in my neighborhood growing up. When I was in 5th and 6th grade, we used to hang out behind the high school in the late afternoon or early evening. We could smoke unobserved back there. Late one evening, a garage door in the back of the shop wing opened up and you could hear the rumble of an engine with glass pack muffler. Out of the door emerged a dune buggy two boys, their Fathers and their shop teacher made by removing the body from a Volkswagen Bug and tarting it up with bucket seats, big tires and some other doo dads. My pulse quickened when I saw it. It was so light it would actually burn out on lightly sanded asphalt. It had a hand operated windshield wiper from a boat which ultimately rendered it street legal; and with Massachusetts Registry Inspection, obtained certificate of title and number plates!

Then came 'Destiny and Six Bananas', where the very same dune buggy (well, nearly) came rolling out of Wesley's shed. My heart skipped a beat, in fact, several beats. I watched the episode a couple more times that night with a big smile on my face. The principal difference was the Burncoat dune buggy had a vertical windshield and a roof on it which was low in the front and high in the back and made it look a bit spooky.

The claptrap from Summerwine disappeared about the time Wesley did, and new personnel entered the show. Although the new Actors and Actresses added much value, the show lost a lot without the claptrap, imho.

Back