Barry's Ties

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone noticed that Barry always seems to be wearing the same tie, the one with the diamond shaped pattern on. I've not seen him wearing any other tie in the later series. I'd hazard a guess that this is the only tie he wore with his normal suit for at least the last 5 years of the series if not longer?

I appreciate that budgets were tight in later series but surely the Wardrobe Dept could stretch to a few more ties from the charity shop! Or maybe it was on which Glenda bought him which he didn't dare change!!!!?!??

This picture is from Series 30

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 17.16.08.png

Last edited:
This is from Barry in Danger from Reading and Aunt Jessie Which is s27 so that at least 5 years he's been wearing it!

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 17.32.28.png

I reckon the ladies got together one Christmas - that we never saw as for a good while we had non Christmassy Christmas episodes - and went to Aunties to see what they could they could get the collective menfolk for Christmas. As they paid so much and Edie was particularly aggrieved she made it clear that these articles were not be changed!

I reckon the ladies got together one Christmas - that we never saw as for a good while we had non Christmassy Christmas episodes - and went to Aunties to see what they could they could get the collective menfolk for Christmas. As they paid so much and Edie was particularly aggrieved she made it clear that these articles were not be changed!
This approach met with bemusement from Howard who decided to really crack it this time by donning a little blue Sailor suit not to dissimilar to that of a young Herbert Trueloves when growing up. He could then hire a spiffy little boat on the Holme and be safe from prying eyes in order to share his keen interest in wildlife with a certain lady whose skirts were getting shorter than his ability to convince his wife. Pearl was therefore less than impressed and handing him her present of tie told him to get nautically knotted!

Has anyone noticed that Barry always seems to be wearing the same tie, the one with the diamond shaped pattern on. I've not seen him wearing any other tie in the later series. I'd hazard a guess that this is the only tie he wore with his normal suit for at least the last 5 years of the series if not longer?

I appreciate that budgets were tight in later series but surely the Wardrobe Dept could stretch to a few more ties from the charity shop! Or maybe it was on which Glenda bought him which he didn't dare change!!!!?!??

This picture is from Series 30

View attachment 6957

There are perhaps two reasons why Barry always wears the same tie. The first is continuity; you don't have wardrobe problems with the same tie. And speaking of his wardrobe, doesn't Barry always wear the same suit? And ties seem to send messages. Is Barry's tie supposed to reflect the fact that he hasn't risen above his current level?

I have noticed Barry's tie too......but for a different reason....I have one exactly the same! :eek:

I haven't worn a tie in years (I don't think I have worn one this CENTURY) but I still have a couple of OLD ones and one is the spitting image of Barry's!

On the subject of ties I always wore a full suit to work along with tie, but since Covid I don't think I've worn one once for work. Think lockdown lead to wider acceptance of more informal clothes.

Most of the characters have the same dress series after series I just wondered how many copies of each garment the wardrobe department held for each one something I have pondered for some time. I cannot see actors slobbing around in an unlaundered single copy of their "uniform" series after series.

As our scruffy hero said as Cleggy was ironing his tie/belt and he was perusing which horse to lose money on.........."THERE'S A LOT OF WEAR IN A TIE !!!!"

Back