Barry's Christmas

Big Unc

Dedicated Member
1990 Christmas Special - is this the only episode not to be given an on-screen title? Any ideas as to why this happened? Did we ever discuss this before?

We did discuss this partially once before, possibly on the 'other' forum.

There is an alternative title for this episode, which is The Rescue of Father Christmas.

A Christmas 1990 Radio Times would be helpful here if anyone still has one (!).

This episode has an unusual opening at the very start - I think it starts in a sepia format. :-\

Getting Sam Home doesn't have it's title on-screen either - yet somehow it's never called anything else.

I think the pilot did not have on on-screen title, (open to correction) but Big Unc is correct the episode known as Barry's Christmas is the one that never seems to have had an 'official' title.

The pilot was originally titled THE Last of the Summer Wine, apparently. I think the opening titles were revised when it was repeated a week before Series One. The opening titles are in different print to the closing titles.

The pilot was originally titled THE Last of the Summer Wine, apparently. I think the opening titles were revised when it was repeated a week before Series One. The opening titles are in different print to the closing titles.

The pilot was, of course, an episode of Comedy Playhouse titled "The Last of the Summer Wine". I have read that there was a lot of debate when the programme was first commissioned over both the substantive title and that opening definite article. I do wonder when the subtitle "Of Funerals and Fish" was first coined and when/how it was first applied.

Of Funerals and Fish was known as this by 1989 when I first visited the Summer Wine photographic exhibition (not where the exhibition is now but up the road towards Huddersfield) and there was the first list of all episodes with dates broadcast which I had seen in print. I copied it down and used it to construct my own database of episodes as I was by then trying to track down episodes that I had not seen.

Back