Aunties Prices

I've noticed this thing about money and actual amounts on soaps and serial comedies. Money is part of life but amounts are very rarely mentioned. They'll discuss a job or a sale and the questions regarding the amount are always met with "oh we'll come up with something" or "I'll get back to you" etc etc. Strange.
Come on brainpots let us know what you think. I'm looking at Chuckle here.
Very often a character buys something and slaps some coins on the counter, no one mentions the price and there wasn't any change given!

I've noticed this thing about money and actual amounts on soaps and serial comedies. Money is part of life but amounts are very rarely mentioned. They'll discuss a job or a sale and the questions regarding the amount are always met with "oh we'll come up with something" or "I'll get back to you" etc etc. Strange.
Come on brainpots let us know what you think. I'm looking at Chuckle here.
I think sometimes they deliberately don't use prices in programmes as they want them to remain timeless. If they're watched decades later it can be difficult to get the concept of the value of money.

In 'Variations on a Theme of Road Rage' Auntie reminded Smiler that his Father still owed her 3 shillings and tuppence haypenny (what ever those are) for an artifical leg he was buying on tick. It seemed that Auntie went to Smiler's Father's funeral, but she needn't have bothered because no one was interested in her 3 shillings and tuppence haypenny. It was a price quote and an implicit demand, because it was clearly Aunties expectation that Smiler should honor his late Father's debt.

In 'Variations on a Theme of Road Rage' Auntie reminded Smiler that his Father still owed her 3 shillings and tuppence haypenny (what ever those are) for an artifical leg he was buying on tick. It seemed that Auntie went to Smiler's Father's funeral, but she needn't have bothered because no one was interested in her 3 shillings and tuppence haypenny. It was a price quote and an implicit demand, because it was clearly Aunties expectation that Smiler should honor his late Father's debt.
American performers of folk music have to be at least aware of how to pronounce the old-currency terms. For instance in the song “Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat; please to put a penny in an old man’s hat. If you haven’t got a penny, then a half-penny will do; if you haven’t got a half-penny, then God bless you.”

Most Americans haven’t a clue how to pronounce “half-penny”.

American performers of folk music have to be at least aware of how to pronounce the old-currency terms. For instance in the song “Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat; please to put a penny in an old man’s hat. If you haven’t got a penny, then a half-penny will do; if you haven’t got a half-penny, then God bless you.”

Sociological, no doubt. It's been a long time since something cost half-penny especially in America :42:

The “whatever those are” comment that I made was a well intended poke-fun at the British slanguage interpretation of a 2 ½ pence coin. My first encounter with tuppence ha’ penny was reading Dickens in high school. I’ve seen it spelled a couple of different ways. To me, such colloquialisms are part of the charm of British heritage. I am glad they did not adopt the Euro as the significance of these numismatic gems would have been lost within two generations.

The British had another coin called the Thruppence. We had the same coin in the US. My Mother hung onto one when the Government recalled them for removal from circulation. She told me it was a three cent piece. It was minted in nickel. As a child, I thought it was a dime because of its size. It is stashed in this house somewhere. Now that I have thought of it, I will have to keep an eye open for it.

I am still not sure what a shilling is, I think is is the equivalent to our nickle (20% of a dollar), but to me it sounds like a fish.

Who but the British would think to name a bicycle after two coins (the Penny Farthing) but it makes sense when you look at the size of the two wheels.

Oh shut up Seymour and eat your choc ice!

The “whatever those are” comment that I made was a well intended poke-fun at the British slanguage interpretation of a 2 ½ pence coin. My first encounter with tuppence ha’ penny was reading Dickens in high school. I’ve seen it spelled a couple of different ways. To me, such colloquialisms are part of the charm of British heritage. I am glad they did not adopt the Euro as the significance of these numismatic gems would have been lost within two generations.

The British had another coin called the Thruppence. We had the same coin in the US. My Mother hung onto one when the Government recalled them for removal from circulation. She told me it was a three cent piece. It was minted in nickel. As a child, I thought it was a dime because of its size. It is stashed in this house somewhere. Now that I have thought of it, I will have to keep an eye open for it.

I am still not sure what a shilling is, I think is is the equivalent to our nickle (20% of a dollar), but to me it sounds like a fish.

Who but the British would think to name a bicycle after two coins (the Penny Farthing) but it makes sense when you look at the size of the two wheels.

Was that your mother at the end there Seymour haha ; )))

A shilling was 12 old pennies

Okay I think with OAHs and with Auntie the money amounts are relevant and crucial to the character but money amounts which in normal everyday life are mentioned are very often not. I've definitely noticed it and said to myself while watching something, why do they often not mention prices and amounts because in real life you bet ya top dollar (see what i did there :fp:) they would :36:
This show is relevant, no matter when or where it is shown. So details such as the price of items, dates, telephone numbers, etc. only serve to fix it in a certain era. Sometimes these details even detract from the story, so it is better to avoid specifically mentioning them. With Auntie Wainwright, you quickly get the gist of how she operates when Clegg always walks out with something he didn't want to buy, but bought anyway.

Back