Auntie comes up trumps

captain clutterbuck

LOTSW Fanatic
I know we give the BBC a hard time but they have produced a fascinating series that is being shown early in their daily schedule this week , 9.15 am to be precise. I missed a couple of the others but they are on the BBC IPlayer . The series is Home Front Heroes and it is personalities who have a connection to people who did extraordinary work during the war years . Today's star was Helen Lederer and it was absolutely fascinating , her Grandfather and Mother both worked for British Intelligence . I won't spoil the surprises she discovers but if you watch anything this week please watch this particular episode , very poignant considering the upcoming days.

I think in the UK Channel 5 is treat as somewhat of a joke channel with very little to offer, well I have found a little gem which I would not hesitate in recommending .I speak of Edwardian Britain in Colour . I am watching episode 2 of the documentary now , the footage in black in white is fascinating but by broadcasting it in colour just adds so much to it .

The episode I am watching has shown footage of the Suffrage movement including colour film of Emily Wilding Davison making the ultimate sacrifice for the movement by trying to pin a flag to the King's horse during the race and showing soldiers marching off to the trenches of World War 1 . When you know what happened in both tumultuous events it becomes a very stark reminder of the sacrifice these women and men made .

I would heartily recommend this series of documentaries to anyone , they are fascinating . I am not a fan of old feature films being shown in colour but this really is a positive enhancement . Both episodes are available on All 5 which is Channel 5's IPlayer equivalent.

Sounds a really good programme - in fact they both do.
(Must admit when I clicked on this thread I thought it was going to be something about Wainwright's!)

Remember "The World at War" ? - Watching the entire series, I seriously began to wonder if the real world actually WAS black and white in those days.

Back