Are the police too eager to prosecute motorists??

S

sir coffalot

Just heard of an example of the "tick the box" mentality of modern policing. Last weekend a woman on our avenue had a car stolen from her drive, the old" hook the keys through the letter box" ploy! So we get a policeman and PCSO on house to house round the street. Next door but one have just lost a husband and father to cancer, the daughter has sat with him throughout the night to give her mum some rest. During this difficult time her road tax has expired, the PCSO advised her of it and said she should move it off the road. She was about to move it onto her mums drive when along comes the PC ,he spots the tax disc and is soon on his radio. Not 5 mins later the towtruck arrives to cart away the car. No amount of pleading would suffice and off goes the car, she can have it back at £100 a day plus the new tax disc. Since the car was valued at £400 she tells them they may as well scrap it. Now she is carless , fatherless and jobless , since she needed the car for work!! What ever happened to commonsense and compassion???

Common sense and compassion died along time ago mate. In most areas of modern 'society'.

That made me so bloody angry Dick that I'll need to calm down a bit before I say something about the police I shouldn't.

That made me so bloody angry Dick that I'll need to calm down a bit before I say something about the police I shouldn't.

I am with you on that one George,though it has always been the case that the motorist is an easy target

There was a case last year where a local in the village was fed up with the speed of traffic coming through far in excess of the 30mph limit,the council were not interest and the police were far to busy to set up their mobile camera occasionally,so he made a yellow board and stuck it on a pole in his garden which was close to the road, it did look like the usual speed camera,he had to remove it,the council informed him it had to go as it was slowing down the traffic......hello

Sad story but not uncommon. My mother in laws brother was diagnosed with cancer last march and she and her partner took him to all of his chemo sessions at sunderland hospital. These sessions ranged in times of 30 mins - 4 or 5 hours, the new "parking eye" cameras in the hospital spotted her car arrival times and leaving times and determines if she paid the correct parking fees. Now on one occasion his treatment was taking longer than expected as he was in the final stages etc.. In moments like this it is possible to forget your parking ticket is to expire, as hers did. Her brother died at home in January surrounded by his family, a few days after her "parking eye" letter arrived with photos of her car, arrival times and leaving times and a £60 fine, she tried to explain her about brothers treatment but no technology has no morals.

When he was sent home to die, the hospital didn't give him any morphine just a prescription and one day he needed it bad, so my mother in law drove to a 3 or 4 different chemists to pick up some morphine and when she found one that had some in stock the pharmacist made her wait an hour before making up the prescription. Now this was for a dying man in agony with cancer, i know every care must be taken when dealing with drugs but she is 65 years old.

Sorry for waffling on

>:( Like I said James, compassion looks to have gone the way of the dodo and as you say, technology knows no morals.Sometimes I despair of the world my grandkids will inherit :'(

It is the same over here I´m afraid >:(. The hospital parking spaces, yes, my godmother´s husband has a brain tumour and it was just the same, we all couldn´t believe they were actually giving tickets to people with ill relatives in hospital. And as for the police, I can only shake my head. Though I have hope they are not all like that.

Back