Anybody else notice this?

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
I was watching 'A Short Blast of Fred Astaire' last night, and I noticed that the S's in the word Christmas on Howard's window are the wrong way round. Anyone else noticed this?:30:

I think it is probably Roy Clarke reworking or indeed using something he did in Open All Hours so the keener eyed viewer would spot it . Luckily the consequence for you Peri is not the same . In OAH Arkwright wrote "Speciol Price" on the Shop Window with the premise that " Those who can't read wouldn't notice but there's always one person who will pop their head around the door all to keen to tell you that you have spelt "Speciol" with an "ho" and when they do I'll have them ! " True to form he did and the "Customer" exited with a box full of " Speciolly priced " goods.

I suppose to avoid comparison Roy Clarke avoided putting something mispelt on Auntie's shop but it would have been a funny addition especially if it coaxed Cleggy into the shop. :)

It's nothing as elaborate as that.

It is simply that the Christmas message was painted on the window from the INSIDE.

It's done with some sort of white-wash which, when it gets wet from the rain, would wash off.

So it's painted on the inside so it lasts.

But when you're painting it on the inside, you have write BACKWARDS.

And a lot of people can't do a backwards S, the brain doesn't seem to allow it.

So the S ends up being wrong.

Whether the design team deliberately did it like this, for comedic value, I don't know.

But somehow it looks more natural being wrong.

Back